Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Server 1.7.2 Released

Phoronix: X Server 1.7.2 Released

Just as planned, X Server 1.7.2 was released this morning to encompass all of the bug-fixes that have went into the X Server 1.7 branch over the past five weeks. The X Server 1.7.2 release message can be read on xorg-announce...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not bring Xserver 1.7 to xorg-edgers/karmic?

Comment

because it breaks some drivers (e.g. fglrx) ?

it would be even more work to track the problems and bugs with multiple x-servers ?

if ATI/AMD updated their drivers soon (let's say at the end of december or beginning of january) with adding support for xserver 1.7 maybe it would be possible ...

I however highly doubt that the distributions would update their x-servers in the middle of a release cycle

Comment

you must be lucky when you get a fglrx 10-4 prelease with that xserver support i guess. ati follows ubuntu releases not xserver releases.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
          because it breaks some drivers (e.g. fglrx) ?

it would be even more work to track the problems and bugs with multiple x-servers ?

if ATI/AMD updated their drivers soon (let's say at the end of december or beginning of january) with adding support for xserver 1.7 maybe it would be possible ...

I however highly doubt that the distributions would update their x-servers in the middle of a release cycle
          I am talking about xorg-edgers, not Ubuntu's official karmic repository.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            I am talking about xorg-edgers, not Ubuntu's official karmic repository.
            sorry for confusing that

I'm using ubuntu only pretty seldom and on my laptop (right now) and don't know about all those fancy repositories - I thought it was part of (official) ubuntu

more power to the xorg-edgers guys

I hope to be able to partly switch to ubuntu 10.04 and use the opensource driver instead of fglrx,

perhaps with the edgers repo it could be even earlier ? - who knows

but first they need to tweak the cpu and i/o scheduler a little (keyword: BFS or improved CFS and BFQ)

Comment

Working...
            X