No announcement yet.

KMS + Radeon quick mini guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, that worked. I must not have read close enough before as I put the files at /lib/firmware and not in the src kernel firmware directory.

So it switches into kms about 1-1.5 seconds into startup whereas as a module it would do it about 4 seconds into startup.

I don't notice any increase in 3D between these 2 based on glxgears and urbanterror. I think it was slightly faster before kms but I don't really have anything to base that on other than the way the games feels to me.

Still have the stuttering problem in xine with audio over hdmi. See my other post for that.

Comment

forum1793 that was my feeling too, kms is slower in 3d
      but everybody says its faster..
      too lame to test it though oops ;p

Just got me a phenom II X4 3.4Ghz this improved UT2004 quite a bit (+10-20% fps estimate) over the previous Athlon 64 X2

Comment

I've got it working in Arch with rc4, but I can't seem to be able to connect a monitor using a DVI-HDMI cable. I have to use a DVI-VGA cable instead.

Didn't have any problems before, using 2.6.32 kernel.
        Last edited by mdias; 23 January 2010, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Hello,

I would like to ask, if there is any way to switch on/off KMS w/o recompiling a kernel with "radeon default KMS on" option?

/etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf
          radeon.modeset=[01]

doesn?t work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexiy View Post
            I would like to ask, if there is any way to switch on/off KMS w/o recompiling a kernel with "radeon default KMS on" option?

/etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf
            radeon.modeset=[01]

doesn?t work for me.
            The proper sintax would be:
            Code:
            options radeon modeset=0
            but it works only if the driver is build as module; otherwise you have to pass radeon.modeset=0 on the kernel command line.

Comment

Hi,

I'm wonder if compiz, using KMS, should run smoothly on HD3200?

I have such behavior, only when compiz is up:

- for example if I have two windows open and I'm changing focus from one window to other, my OS slows down significantly. After a few seconds everything is normal again. I can move the window, the wobbly windows effect works smoothly.

- or other example, in any case w/ or w/o compiz: I have a picture frame widget on my desktop configured for slide show. And when pictures are changed there, I get the same freeze, and after a few seconds everything is ok again.

Other things like video playback, desktop composition works well with KMS and DRI2.

my system is:
              kernel - 2.6.33-rc8
              drm, mesa recently from git
              ati - just updated today
              Slackware x86_64

Thank you for answering me.

Comment

You no longer need --enable-radeon-experimental-api flag when building drm. It is now enabled by default: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm...065394111f6122

Comment

Yeah, I know that since I simply haven't found that option

Comment

Originally posted by Alexiy View Post
                    Yeah, I know that since I simply haven't found that option
                    My post was not directed at you, but rather at the OP.

Comment

Working...
                    X