pure awsomeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guilo View Post
    I am puzzled about how to install radeonhd.
    You did not say what card and distribution you are using, but I guess you are on Ubuntu. No, you don't have to install radeonhd.
    - I need to install a newer dri (I would like to try dri2 for 3d support)
    - I need to install a newer drm
    - I need to install newer mesa
    - If i need to, may i update with xorg-edgers packages or do i need to recompile each package ?
    - After installing the driver, is there an automated configuration for xorg.conf ?
    - How I enable KMS if possible ? Is it separable from dri2 ?
    Yes, if you want the best performance, the latest bits are needed, and then using lucid + xorg-edgers (or Fedora 12) is the easiest for you. No, you don't need any xorg.conf. No, KMS and DRI2 are inseparable on radeon. To use KMS on Ubuntu read https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/RadeonKMS.

And all this is experimental stuff so you'd better take the time to read the documentation you can find.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
      You did not say what card and distribution you are using, but I guess you are on Ubuntu. No, you don't have to install radeonhd.

Yes, if you want the best performance, the latest bits are needed, and then using lucid + xorg-edgers (or Fedora 12) is the easiest for you. No, you don't need any xorg.conf. No, KMS and DRI2 are inseparable on radeon. To use KMS on Ubuntu read https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/RadeonKMS.

And all this is experimental stuff so you'd better take the time to read the documentation you can find.

I have Kubuntu 9.10 and HD 4650.

I don't need to install radeonhd ? euh... i don't see the latest version in the repositories.

Does apply to radeonhd ?

Comment

I would like to test the latest OSS radeon improvements with F12, but there isn't new enough xorg-x11-drv-ati -package available in koji?

Changelog says:

* Tue Dec 01 2009 Dave Airlie <[email protected]> 6.13.0-0.16.20091201git88a50a30d - fixed up multi-op support for r600s

Still can't find 6.13.0-0.16 for F12. Is it safe to use packages meant for F13.
        Last edited by fa5hion; 02 December 2009, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guilo View Post
          I have Kubuntu 9.10 and HD 4650.

I don't need to install radeonhd ? euh... i don't see the latest version in the repositories.

Does apply to radeonhd ?
          If you read this whole thread and the wiki page you might see that we all use the radeon driver. Why do you talk about the radeonhd driver? Yes, you don't have to install (and thereby use) the radeonhd driver.

Comment

I thought that radeonhd was required for HD4xxx. I can't see the difference if I don't need it.

Comment

I thought that radeonhd was required for HD4xxx.
              It was, years ago.

Nowadays, the two drivers are very similar, and all the interesting stuff happens in libdrm and mesa anyway.

That said, I do have a feeling that radeon is getting more love these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                Get the Mesa source from git git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa go to src/mesa/drivers/dri/r600/r600_context.c
                Code:
                git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa
                and

Uncomment
                Code:
                //#define R600_ENABLE_GLSL_TEST 1
                to

Code:
                #define R600_ENABLE_GLSL_TEST 1
                then build an install this mesa
                the fast way is go to the main folder and
                Code:
                ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --with-dri-drivers=swrast,radeon,r600 --disable-gallium
                make
                sudo make install

if everything works finde glxinfo report now OpenGl 2.0
                Install Mesa 7.8 with GLSL and all wotking fine. But now I want to ininstall Mesa 7.8, and when type "sudo make uninstall", I recive message:
                Code:
                make: *** No rule to make target `uninstall'.  Stop.
                How I can correctly ininstall Mesa?

Comment

radeonhd served me well for a long time. That said, it does have the feeling of a dying project, or at least one that doesn't get enough love. From Matthias Hopf's journal, http://emmes.livejournal.com/ :
                  You may think that a release "cycle" of 6 months is... not that much. However, as most open source projects radeonhd is pretty much understaffed. Together with lots of additional work on Novell's side (which of course reduces the amount of time Egbert and I can spend on radeonhd) it took us a while to finally find some time for polishing

Comment

Part of what you are seeing is a gradual shift in focus from having modesetting in the X driver (radeon/radeonhd) to having it in the kernel (KMS), which means that the X driver doesn't need to change so much.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X