pure awsomeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tormod View Post
    I run Ubuntu 9.10 + the xorg-edgers lucid PPA which has mesa 7.8 and xserver 1.8. I can not recommend to mix lucid/karmic packages, but just to give you some bad ideas to try out
    Yeah it runs fantastic, thanks for maintaining the xorg-edgers PPA!

I am one of those that supports the fglrx whenever people moan about it, but even I really don't want to use that piece of blob anymore, because the overall desktop experience is so much better with the opensource stack *already*.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
      I run Ubuntu 9.10 + the xorg-edgers lucid PPA which has mesa 7.8 and xserver 1.8. I can not recommend to mix lucid/karmic packages, but just to give you some bad ideas to try out
      Is there any reason why the xorg-edgers ppa for Karmic is tracking mesa-7.7, and not master? I thought the whole purpose of the ppa was to get bleeding edge code... Now I went back to compiling mesa myself.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        Is there any reason why the xorg-edgers ppa for Karmic is tracking mesa-7.7, and not master? I thought the whole purpose of the ppa was to get bleeding edge code... Now I went back to compiling mesa myself.
        To get the bleeding edge it is better to run Lucid anyway. Currently I think it is nice to provide all three 7.6, 7.7 and 7.8 branches for various testing, especially since the 7.8 packages works fine in Karmic as well. Once stock Lucid provides 7.7, we might consider 7.8 in the Karmic PPA.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          right now no Crashes,.... FGLRX is crap a piece of shit...
          amen to that

Comment

what level of 3d features are the open source drivers up to these days?

Comment

Well I don't understand why everyone is after fglrx... Actually I don't think its that bad :| The only real problem I have, is running the newest 3d application through wine.

That said, I think radeon is better than fglrx. Ofcourse

Comment

what level of 3d features are the open source drivers up to these days?
                OpenGL 1.5. Still missing GLSL for OpenGL 2+.

GLSL is implemented and works partially, but is still experimental.

Not all the stuff/games works, but it's perfect for desktop effects and many games run perfectly here.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  OpenGL 1.5. Still missing GLSL for OpenGL 2+.

GLSL is implemented and works partially, but is still experimental.

Not all the stuff/games works, but it's perfect for desktop effects and many games run perfectly here.
                  Does Quake4 run? Not sure what level of GLSL that requires. If that runs, I might consider looking into the radeon drivers (not that I could use them "full time", as I need opengl 3.x for my own programming).

Comment

Much seen problem is lacking s3tc (dxtn) support in drivers above r300.

on r600 you must disable s3tc in driconf explicitly, for the detection to work properly with games like spring RTS, and ut2004 demo

Comment

Does Quake4 run?
                      Not according to http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram . Doom3 sort of runs on r500, so it can't be too far off.
                      Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 26 November 2009, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X