Chromium OS, Moblin, Ubuntu Netbook Remix Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@arjan_intel

I only test the img file and NO hd install! And of course that uses an initrd to boot! Would not hurt to call it iso, as it uses just isolinux hybrid mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      The tests represent an "out of the box" experience.
      Ok, but doing so, the benchmarks are totally filesystem dependant. So the title must say ext3 and ext4 benchmarks , instead of Chromium OS, Moblin, Ubuntu Netbook Remix Benchmarks.

It has no sense to me comparing different distros under different FS, it is not representative.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
        It has no sense to me comparing different distros under different FS, it is not representative.
        It's representative of what the average user will see if they install the OS on their netbook using the default settings: which is what 90+% of people will do.

Personally I was reluctant to use the default ext4 on my UNR install, but so far it hasn't truncated all my files to zero bytes.

Comment

Sorry i don?t want to be unpolite, but i totally disagree.

For example, if u want to compare 2 sportive cars, you have to make the effort to transport them to the same circuit and to put them under the same professional driver. Then do the benchmark . You have to make a previous effort to put them under the same conditions.

In engineering if u want to compare one implementations against other/others and write and article u have to create the same conditions, and do the testing.

Phoronix is a referent to linux, lot of journalists take you as a referent, they can write that X distro is better than Y distro without mentioning that the benchmark has been realised under different filesystem, this way, a lot of disinformation is created.

All kernels > 2.6.28 support ext4 FS, it is easy to setup a ext4 root partition.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
            Sorry i don?t want to be unpolite, but i totally disagree.

For example, if u want to compare 2 sportive cars, you have to make the effort to transport them to the same circuit and to put them under the same professional driver. Then do the benchmark . You have to make a previous effort to put them under the same conditions.

In engineering if u want to compare one implementations against other/others and write and article u have to create the same conditions, and do the testing.

Phoronix is a referent to linux, lot of journalists take you as a referent, they can write that X distro is better than Y distro without mentioning that the benchmark has been realised under different filesystem, this way, a lot of disinformation is created.

All kernels > 2.6.28 support ext4 FS, it is easy to setup a ext4 root partition.
            Maintaining the same track and driver would be like maintaining the same set of benchmarks and settings. However, changing out the file-system would be like changing out the tires on the vehicle. The default file-system is part of the decision that distribution vendors make as part of their process, just as automobile makers recommend a specific set of tires. As a reader pointed out, a far majority of Linux users will go with the default file-system choice.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Why screenshots of only 3 out of 5 tested distros? Certainly would have liked to see Chromium's shot.

Comment

Working...
              X