Nouveau To Enter The Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I'll tell you what happens when you install the proprietary nvidia driver: You'll get lame, half-baked workarounds for the later generation of nVidia cards so that the solicon doesn't get fried after a month long use.

If you decide to use the Nouveau driver anyway then I'd like to kindly advice you to get an ATI card somewhere around januari next year...
    I don?t really follow: are you saying that nouveau fries cards?

I?ve been testing nouveau with the fedora betas since f11 on my nvidia collection and had no such problems so far.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post

I?ve been testing nouveau with the fedora betas since f11 on my nvidia collection and had no such problems so far.
      Nah hes just saying that because although open nouveau is essentially a reverse engineered driver where the open ati one is documented and within a year or so should support 3d on all cards. It's running on all but the latest chipset at the moment in some form or another.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post

No, he's saying it lacks the downclocking workarounds required to prevent the chips physically falling off from heat stresses under normal load.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
          No, he's saying it lacks the downclocking workarounds required to prevent the chips physically falling off from heat stresses under normal load.
          Yup This only affects later generation nVidia cards so if you're having a GeForce 6 series or below then you're good with the Nouveau driver

Comment

From Ben Skeggs (nouveau developer at Red Hat):

"Well, nouveau uses the card at the performance level (so, voltage, clock speeds, fan level) that the video BIOS initialises it to. One would assume the VBIOS knows what its doing and programs the card to a safe configuration. And on every VBIOS I've seen, it programs the card to the lowest possible performance level.

In any case, nouveau's in no different position to nv or vesa in that regard.

Aside from that, there's really nothing we can do at this point. With our current knowledge, we'd likely do more harm than good even attempting to control the GPU performance levels."

So, there's the story.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
              From Ben Skeggs (nouveau developer at Red Hat):

"Well, nouveau uses the card at the performance level (so, voltage, clock speeds, fan level) that the video BIOS initialises it to. One would assume the VBIOS knows what its doing and programs the card to a safe configuration. And on every VBIOS I've seen, it programs the card to the lowest possible performance level.
              That's unfortunate though as it'll lock cards to something as low as 1/3 of their performance. Let's hope it doesn't take them too long to figure out the 'upclocking'.

Comment

it doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference until we get 3D working

Comment

Working...
                X