No announcement yet.

OSS Radeon Drivers in Debian Testing are a letdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to add that if people created / maintained a work-around for every weird piece of hardware there would be significantly less time working on anything else (eg good default compatibility). Not to mention the lacking documentation situation(which has happened before) where people provided a work-around for some odd piece of hardware 5 years ago and no one has any clue what that work-around actually relates to.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Did a BusType "AGP" setting fix your problems?
      Ahh, yes it does override PCIE and fix them on your patched Kanotix.

Edit: I forgot to say, it's really nice to see a live ISO with mplayer :-)
      Last edited by legume; 23 November 2009, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I think a good way to remedy this would be to have a way for the user to be able to easily configure driver options. Yes, you can configure xorg.conf, but I'm thinking more of something like Ubuntu's "bullet proof X", where the user would get a screen that gives him a list of relevant options for drivers and lets him make modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
          I think a good way to remedy this would be to have a way for the user to be able to easily configure driver options. Yes, you can configure xorg.conf, but I'm thinking more of something like Ubuntu's "bullet proof X", where the user would get a screen that gives him a list of relevant options for drivers and lets him make modifications.
          What?!? Ubuntu is probably among the worst for ATI open source drivers. AT least, it seems some people are reporting a bug in Mesa.

I have tried Ubuntu 9.10 and I get a crash when trying the Live CD. All I have to do is start Firefox and have 3D effects enabled.

I still say it's a big fat negative that they throw away the support or neglect it to that degree. Also, there's three drivers! Radeon, radeonhd and fglrx? Isn't that right? Crazy. No wonder, it's such a mess.

I'd go with Nvidia if I was getting a desktop video card. At least, I could rely on it working with 3D.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            Also, there's three drivers! Radeon, radeonhd and fglrx? Isn't that right? Crazy. No wonder, it's such a mess.
            Three drivers seems to be the most common number for some reason. NVidia has the binary plus nv and Nouveau, Via has a binary plus openchrome and unichrome...

The radeon and radeonhd drivers use the same drm and mesa code, and that code is where most of the new development has been happening for the last year.
            Test signature

Comment

+1, even if i dont know what is "bullet proof X"

Bibi

Comment

Working...
              X