Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 13 May Support Btrfs System Rollbacks

Phoronix: Fedora 13 May Support Btrfs System Rollbacks

Fedora 12 was just released this week, but features for Fedora 13 have been in planning long before this release made it out the door. In fact, it was last month that we began talking about features for Fedora 13...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Might help to proof-read the article before hitting the "post" button...

However, this support wouldn't be ideal for an average end-user since they are snapshots of the entire file-system and thus the /home/ directory is on a separate non-Btrfs partition, the user's data would also be rolled back.
    ... this sentence is indecipherable.
    I *think* that "thus" should be "since", and the "would" should be "would NOT".

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

I wonder if the PTS can benchmark how quickly a post appears on RSS to an "article" being put up on Phoronix

Comment

I think Chris is working full time on btrfs, but it is very hard to tell how far and stable it is.

Many many posts at the mailinglist:

Shout, if it doens't cause data loss, I wouldn't mind making it my default fs for /.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

Fixed, thanks. The original news post was longer and clear, but when I went to post that it ended up getting erased, so I had just quickly retyped something.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

can't rollbacks be implemented today with lvm?

Comment

Originally posted by krogy View Post
              can't rollbacks be implemented today with lvm?
              Yes.

But there might be some performance reasons for having the fs support it...?

Sun's ZFS can do it.

Edit:

After thinking about it for awhile. LVM snapshots is great when you have VM partitions, and you want to make live back ups of the entire partition. This is done on host.

With file system snapshots the backup is made from inside the VM.

I think that must the difference/advantages.
              Last edited by Louise; 20 November 2009, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Use a separate /home partition

Combined with a separate /home partition, or better yet separate /home/user partitions for each user, the snapshot capability would be pretty nice - you could rollback the system and user data individually as required.

Comment

Working...
                X