Inconsistent HDMI Behavior - RadeonHD4200 & XRandR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistent HDMI Behavior - RadeonHD4200 & XRandR

Greetings Fine Folk Of The Phoronix Forums!

I'm a bit of a newbie to both linux, and this forum (first post!). I've been having some trouble setting up my Fedora 11 based HTPC with my HDTV, and was hoping some of you might be able to help.

Basically, I get no signal on my tv 'till I run a console, and alternate between 'xrandr --output DFP2 --off' & 'xrandr --output DFP2 --auto' a few times. Only after about five or six times of doing this (it changes) the TV finally complies. I'm using the kmod-catalyst driver.

For now I have to keep a small LCD in my living room just to be able to start up the system (my MA-785GMT-UD2H's BIOS refuses to show POST, or anything else for that matter, through the HDMI), but I was hoping that maybe I could, with your help, script something up to get the TV working once X starts. My final goal is to just have 1 working desktop on my TV. Shouldn't be that hard, right?

So... any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Morton

Originally posted by MortonPI View Post
    (my MA-785GMT-UD2H's BIOS refuses to show POST, or anything else for that matter, through the HDMI)
    Is it the Gigabyte MB ?
    I've got GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H.
    And (It won't help you but) it works like a charm with a sony KDL-40w4500 through HDMI from POST to Ubuntu 9.04/9.10 desktop.

Try some different options in BIOS.

Comment

Yup, it's the Gigabyte board. I've been through the BIOS, and nothing there seems to help out. The only option which really has anything to do with the display settings is an output selection, and setting it to HDMI (default is 'Auto') changes nothing.

I'm guessing the TV is just real picky about the video modes it will display, and that's why I'm not seeing POST (it's a Toshiba 47 incher, I can post the model number once I'm back home - although that might be a while).

One interesting thing to note - Ctrl+Alt+F2-ing into the terminal makes the TV display pop-up (cloned). Then init5-ing sends me back to the VGA screen.

Any clues? What should I be fiddling with? Xorg.conf? 45custom_xrandr-settings?

Specifying a mode for Xrandr manually doesn't change much. It still takes at least a couple of back-and-fourths 'till the display pops up. Is there a way to bind an xrandr on/off command to a keyboard shortcut - and to have that work at the login screen?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I should try the new leaked catalyst drivers?

Comment

Maybe try using different drivers, what are you using right now non-free driver or radeonhd open source driver? Also you could try plug in you graphics card in different HDMI port.

Comment

RadeonHD Driver

The board only has 1 HDMI port, and as for the radeonhd drivers - tried 'em, got blank screen at anything but 640x480... Thanks for trying though

Anyone else wanna give it a try? I'm desperate here...

Comment

Originally posted by MortonPI View Post
            The board only has 1 HDMI port
            Yeah but your TV should have more, I meant other TV HDMI port not the board? You can should also play with TV settings a bit sometimes by default they are not optimal, especially look for HDMI settings & TV wake up modes.
            Last edited by Riotta; 26 November 2009, 08:04 AM.

Comment

That really hadn't occurred to me... I'll try a different HDMI input. To the best of my recollection the TV's settings dealt just with various scaling options for the HDMI ports, but it's worth looking into.

I was so convinced it was a software issue that I sorta neglected the TV's side of things. Pff, some poor detective I would make

Comment

Closure

Greetings Once More!

Much time has passed, and the issue has since been resolved, so I figured I'll share my (hard-earned) wisdom with the rest of you. It turns out Radeon cards have some kind of inherent incompatibility with certain Toshiba Regza TVs (42XV500 included). I ended up getting a cheapo graphic card (an Aigle 9500 GT), and now everything works like a charm (from POST to desktop).

Hope this helps someone out there.

Cheers,
                Morton

Comment

Working...
                X