Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPlayer Now Supports Most HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Codecs

Phoronix: MPlayer Now Supports Most HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Codecs

This news is coming a few days late (MPlayer's web-site lacks any RSS or syndication support), but the latest MPlayer code in their SVN trunk now supports most HD-DVD and Blu-ray codecs. Earlier this year we talked about possible Blu-ray support for FFmpeg and developers becoming more interested after we interviewed the FFmpeg developers and there ended up being an outpouring of support by our readers offering up Blu-ray drives and other forms of help. The latest MPlayer code in their Subversion repository now supports most Blu-ray and HD-DVD codecs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is also support for ripping legal copies of Blu-ray content on Linux using this guide.
    While making a copy for fairuse may be legal, circumventing the copy protection is not (at least in the USA with it's DMCA).

Comment

Well i tested the patch, what it does is basically playing the biggest m2ts from the BDMV/STREAM dir. It does not help when the movie is splitted in serveral parts and you don't know the right order. I am not sure about that precompiled libbluray however, my guess it is taken from

but it is not written in the readme.

Comment

I take it this means it'll play unencrypted blu-rays?

Comment

Maybe look at the Readme:

"Only AACS encrypted blurays until mkb 10, no BD+ support (yet)."

Without BD+ it is basically similar to HDDVD. It is definitely impossible to play newer titles with it directly. Maybe you find older ones.

Comment

Finally it's becoming possible to play your legal Blu-ray movies on Linux.
            So if you stole the disc from the store it would work in Linux, but if you paid for it, it wouldn't work? I know Linux is about freedom and everything, but thats extreme.

Comment

I assume this is referring to audio codecs?

(eac3, DTS-HD/MA, Dolby TrueHD)

mplayer has played h.264 and vc-1 video for a long time.

Comment

Mplayer has got problems to detect TrueHD right, therefore i created this patch. It was sent to the mailing list by somebody else but was rejected. Without it detects TrueHD when it is DTS/AC3 and does not detect TrueHD when it is.

Code:
                Index: libmpdemux/demux_ts.c
                ===================================================================
                --- libmpdemux/demux_ts.c	(revision 29771)
                +++ libmpdemux/demux_ts.c	(working copy)
                @@ -1417,8 +1417,8 @@
                 		int ssid = parse_pes_extension_fields(p, pkt_len);
                 		if((audio_substream_id!=-1) && (ssid != audio_substream_id))
                 			return 0;
                -		if(ssid == 0x72)
                -			es->type  = type_from_pmt = AUDIO_TRUEHD;
                +		//if(ssid == 0x72)
                +		//	es->type  = type_from_pmt = AUDIO_TRUEHD;
                 	}

p += header_len + 9;
                @@ -2525,6 +2525,9 @@
                 			case 0x86:
                 				pmt->es[idx].type = AUDIO_DTS;
                 				break;
                +			case 0x83:
                +				pmt->es[idx].type = AUDIO_TRUEHD;
                +				break;
                 			case 0xEA:
                 				pmt->es[idx].type = VIDEO_VC1;
                 				break;

Comment

Cool hopefully we will be able to watch Blue ray in Linux soon.
                  I miss using my Blue Ray player since switching from Vista to Ubuntu a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by cliff View Post
                    Cool hopefully we will be able to watch Blue ray in Linux soon.
                    I miss using my Blue Ray player since switching from Vista to Ubuntu a year ago.
                    Maybe then just buy a set top bluray player for the time being if you don't want to install Vista/W7 just to play bluray discs

Comment

Working...
                    X