Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE 11.2 Final Released

Phoronix: openSUSE 11.2 Final Released

Coming in between the releases of Ubuntu 9.10 and Fedora 12 is openSUSE 11.2, which is available as of this morning. The openSUSE 11.2 desktop is now using KDE 4.3 by default (though GNOME 2.28 is also available), OpenOffice.org 3.1 integration, the Linux 2.6.31 kernel, and many other underlying advancements.Novell sent over a gold master copy of openSUSE 11.2 earlier this week, which we have been playing around with, and overall this appears to be a nice openSUSE release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Downloading right now

Comment

Just a question: why would one prefer OpenSuse over Ubuntu?

I'm just asking, I'm not saying Ubuntu is better.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post

This doesn't matter for Americans, but unlike Ubuntu openSuSE gets the localisation right (especially the German localisation).

Also it has KDE as a default and not GNOME, but you have both on one dvd,whereas with ubuntu you have to choose between Kubuntu and Ubuntu.

Personally I like YaST and prefer green over brown.

Most important reason is the build service, IMHO a very clever idea.

That's just some of the reasons I have, besides SuSE being a local company and not from America.

But since Linux is all about choice, I'd say everyone has to find the distro that suits him best.

Comment

Originally posted by Koorac View Post
          Most important reason is the build service, IMHO a very clever idea.
          I still have a lot to learn about linux in general and have mainly been using Ubuntu (some CentOS at work, but only as a user)..

Could you explain what this build service is (in linux-novice terms)? I'm downloading the KDE live cd now for trying it out, so it's nice to know where the differences are to be found!

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
            I still have a lot to learn about linux in general and have mainly been using Ubuntu (some CentOS at work, but only as a user)..

Could you explain what this build service is (in linux-novice terms)? I'm downloading the KDE live cd now for trying it out, so it's nice to know where the differences are to be found!
            Well.. I don't know too many of the differences yet since I've yet to install it, but I will be later on today. From what I've gathered thus far:

- YaST

- Pulseaudio disabled by default (This is a great thing in my opinion, especially with apps such as Dosbox, that thing HATES Pulseaudio. I do wonder how easy it is to enable if one wanted to.)

- RPM's instead of DEB packages (Not a big deal nowdays)

- Better default theme VS Ubuntu's turd brown, of course thats my opinion.

- Probably alot more

Overall, I would project the experience to be a very good one with OpenSUSE 11.2. I personally cannot wait to install it later on today, hopefully it all goes smoothly. I had nothing but problems when I tried 9.10, it just seems like every Ubuntu release gets buggier and buggier, but hey, to each their own.

Edit:

To answer your question about the build service, you can read about it here: http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service

In short, it makes packaging software easier, and easier to get the newest versions of the software if I read it correctly, instead of having to wait for new openSUSE releases to get new versions of your favorite stuff.
            Last edited by #kyz; 12 November 2009, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post

It has a very nice structure: you can have recent packages of the software you care for, while keeping all the other packages stable.

For example if you want newer versions of the X-Server you just add the XOrg:X11 repository to the repository list in YaST and you have a newer X-Server, which means you don't have to wait for the next distribution release (in 8 months) until you have that new software.

It is very useful for developers since it allows them t package for different distros.

But probably this page explains it a bit better:

Comment

Originally posted by Koorac View Post
                Also it has KDE as a default and not GNOME.
                You got it all wrong mate, you can still get GNOME Live CD (and install from it).

And the KDE default thing is only a matter of preselecting the radio button in a DVD installer.

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post

The main thing GNOME-wise would be YaST an all-in-one setup utility which provide nice GUIs for configuring anything you can think of (so you don't need to drop to command line or edit config files YaST does it all for you).

Nice way of importing new repositories (even third-party and community ones) and gnuPG keys that they are signed with (you have to do that manually in Ubuntu as far as I'm aware).

If you don't find the package in the repos you're suscribed to, there is the build service.

And the "1 click Installer" is kind of neat. You just click a button online which will start an istaller (automatically select the repo, pull the packages you need and install them all in a nice GUI)

And there's the SLAB menu, which fucntions sort of like the Win "Start Menu"

Comment

Working...
                X