AMD 785G & Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 785G & Linux

Hello, I would like to buy myself a new motherboard, based on AMD 785G chipset with a Radeon 4200 IGP. I'm wondering how such motherboards are supported on Linux and is IGP usable at all for desktop effects, movies etc.? I'm also curious is HDMI support usable on Linux, with upcomming XvBA support it would be great HTPC solution. I've been Ati Radeon user in past and I don't have good memories about that time. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Riotta; 11 November 2009, 08:42 AM.

Originally posted by Riotta View Post
    Hello, I would like to buy myself a new motherboard, based on AMD 785G chipset with a Radeon 4200 IGP. I'm wondering how such motherboards are supported on Linux and is IGP usable at all for desktop effects, movies etc.? I'm also curious is HDMI support usable on Linux, with upcomming XvBA support it would be great HTPC solution. I've been Ati Radeon user in past and I don't have good memories about that time. Thanks in advance.
    Theoretically, it should all work just fine, and without seeing any reports to the contrary, it sure appears to be the case.

Note that you'll need the VERY LATEST distro (i.e. fedora 12) to get 3d stuff working with that chip (unless you are ok with compiling stuff yourself). An alternative is, of course, to use fglrx, but who wants that?

HDMI works fine.
    Note that HDMI is the same as DVI except for having a different shape of plug.

Audio over HDMI I think is not quite there yet.

Comment

i recently bought this motherboard : Gigabyte GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H which is based on 785G chipset.
      I'm running under Ubuntu 9.10 with fglrx 9.10.
      For now i've just made a minimal install to run xbmc as an HTPC box.
      So I don't know about desktop effects but all the rest seems to work fine.
      I have some issues running XBMC but I don't know if the driver is in cause.
      Sound through HDMI is well supported with alsa. But I essentially use the optical output.
      The main issue for now is about undescan which has to be tuned in every supported resolutions/refresh rates. amdccle GUI is quite simple to use for that.
      BTW, don't expect any video related acceleration except if u try the last devel from AMD and Splitted Desktop Systems : http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ba_vaapi&num=1
      Last edited by bonobo; 12 November 2009, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X