Unknown boot option `radeon.agpmode=1'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown boot option `radeon.agpmode=1'

Yesterday I installer Ubuntu 9.10. With my Mobility Radeon 9700 I always have to set AGPMode to 1, otherwise I'm getting freezes.

It works if I create manually a xorg.conf, but as this config file is some kind of deprecated I was wondering if there has to be some other way.

So I tried it with a boot option, but dmesg gives
    Code:
    [    0.000000] Unknown boot option `radeon.agpmode=1': ignoring
    Though following modinfo radeon it seems to be a correct option...

...am I doing something wrong? Is there another more elegant way to set AGPMode to 1?

Thanks a lot
    Ren

If radeon is a module, instead of built into the kernel, the option would go to /etc/modprobe*

Comment

radeon is not listed in /etc/modules and adding the option to /etc/modprobe.conf does not have any effect.
      As far as I understand, radeon ist loaded with the kernel (build in).
      Pelase correct if I'm drawing the wrong conclusions...

Comment

Originally posted by Ren H?ek View Post
        radeon is not listed in /etc/modules and adding the option to /etc/modprobe.conf does not have any effect.
        As far as I understand, radeon ist loaded with the kernel (build in).
        Pelase correct if I'm drawing the wrong conclusions...
        I just did a quick test and the agpmode option only works if you are using kernel modesetting.

I think ubuntu defaults to user modesetting so you'll still need to make an xorg.conf.

If you are using kms then AFAIK with ubuntu you need to add a file to /etc/mod????/ containing a line like - options radeon agpmode=1
        then you have to run some command to update the database/something or it won't work.

You may guess from the vagueness that I don't use ubuntu :-)

Comment

Originally posted by legume View Post
          I just did a quick test and the agpmode option only works if you are using kernel modesetting.

I think ubuntu defaults to user modesetting so you'll still need to make an xorg.conf.

[..]
          Code:
          [drm] radeon default to kernel modesetting DISABLED.
          Well then, I will use the xorg.conf. I was just curious...

Thanks all for the help

Comment

Working...
          X