Looking for some game suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some game suggestions

Hi, as the subject says I'm looking for some game suggestions. It has to be Linux native or Linux port.
    Ideally, I'd prefer a Diablo clone, but any sort of dungeon crawler (graphics preferred) would be nice. I've tried Egoboo, which seems like it would be a great game, but I've not had good experience with it- I start a game, but then have lots of trouble with the interface.

Other suggestions (as long as they can be handled by an Intel chip) would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Neverwinter Nights it's a start, it's RPG and yet cool story, there is also some FPS games like Doom 3, Quake series, RTWC, ET:QW, PRey, Penumbra. For the strategy games there is quite a few but i don't know none of them, there is the sim city like games such Micropolis and LinCity-NG (There is also a linux port of sim city 3000 i think). You can play adventure games from Lucas Arts such, Indiana Jones: The Fate of Atlantis, Day of Tentacle and quite few others with "scummvm". there are also some ported games by LGP that you wanna get your hands on. Svartalf has created two main topics for suggestion of porting games on linux, here is lastest topic that he created on the forum.

Now a small comment, didn't you check the forum before posting?????

Comment

If you're looking for a Diablo clone in particular, there is Sacred. LGP has a version of Sacred Gold for sale. Also, the windows demo works perfectly through wine if you want to give it a try.

Comment

for some reason this thread reminded me of dark cloud for the ps2 .

sacred gold is a good buy. I would say that is your best bet.

Comment

if you're ok with wine, Torchlight is pretty close to the diablo feeling. Funny enough, my pirated version works on wine while the officially bought one doesn't .. not sure why.

Linux native action RPG? Haven't found anything yet. Unless you accept console based rogue-clones.

Comment

Maybe you should take a look at Caster. I guess it's at least a bit similar to Diablo, in that you distribute points on skills which you use to kill monsters.
            Eschalon: Book 1 also comes to mind, though compared with Diablo it surely lacks a lot of "action" but offers a lot more "rpg".
            And, this might be a little far fetched, but the Penny Arcade game (On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode 1 and 2) are also good games with great humor.
            Edit: Oh and how could I forget HoN (Heroes of Newerth). It fits the genre action rpg very loosely and is great fun. It actually made me reinstall fglrx, and that says a lot. It's still in closed beta though. I've still got an invite but I don't want to waste it. But there are a lot of videos of HoN on youtube so you can take a look at those and if you think you might like the game I'd be willing to invite you.
            Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
            if you're ok with wine, Torchlight is pretty close to the diablo feeling. Funny enough, my pirated version works on wine while the officially bought one doesn't .. not sure why.
            DRM most likely.
            Last edited by Zhick; 08 November 2009, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much for your suggestions so far- I have looked around before, and I do own Caster- quite fun.

Will definitely look at Sacred Gold since several of you suggested that. Thanks!

Setlec:
              Thanks for the Neverwinter Nights tip- I forgot about that one.
              I do own a copy of Penumbra, which sadly just goes to a black screen after the great opening sequence.
              With regards to the Lucasarts games, I already own nearly all of the adventure games except the very earliest ones.

Comment

Caster?? Never even heard of it, better yet its only 5 bucks, time for me to try that also. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
                  Setlec:
                  Thanks for the Neverwinter Nights tip- I forgot about that one.
                  I do own a copy of Penumbra, which sadly just goes to a black screen after the great opening sequence.
                  With regards to the Lucasarts games, I already own nearly all of the adventure games except the very earliest ones.

About Penunbra there is a small trick you must configure the brightness of the game, the devs wrote in the read-me and i think they wrote on their game website... if you don't change the brightness you will get a BLack screen

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                    As an aside, I wouldn't mention "pirated" version of anything in these forums. Bad form. Bad idea, really.

I know what you're getting at, though, and the consensus would be "DRM" as your reason...

Comment

Working...
                    X