Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: More Developers Want GNOME 3.0 Delayed

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drag View Post
    Pretty much everybody that any sort of commercial interest or focuses on making Linux more acceptable to average person uses Gnome by default.
    ... because gnome is better then kde for comercial interests. Redhat, SLED, well all the major comercial distros use gnome ... That on the other hand pays up with tools and other stuff from those companies that work yes in gtk+/gnome.


    That being said KDE is better for normal desktop use, which is not in the greatest interest of players right now aside from short netbook boom, which now ended with XP installed on almost all of those small things.



    Well especially that Firefox is not a Gnome application and has never had anything to do with Gnome. It's a Mozilla XUL application, which is entirely different from GTK or Gnome or anything else related to Gnome. Same thing with OpenOffice.org, which is not and has never been a GTK or Gnome application.
    Dunno why I got quoted on this.. I stated it's not gnome fault. But ubuntu is a gnome centric distro so by nature things like that fuel some hate.

    Oh and FF on linux requires gtk+ and follows gnome HIG ... For me it is an app close to gnome, even if it's XUL deep under the hood. Openoffice has integration packages for both gtk+ and Qt4 so it's a bit different here, or rather it's just as you say in this case



    The flaming is because they think that Gnome being popular diminishes KDE. Which is just retarded and is not how the world works. It is not a zero sum game.
    Sure and Widnows being popular does not dimnish Linux at all
    Last edited by val-gaav; 11-05-2009 at 04:04 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    It would be nice if KDE applications could use the GTK file selector and vice versa according to the user's preference. I doubt that will ever be much more than an idle daydream.
    vice versa is already true at least for pure Qt4 apps ... Those use gnome filepicker and theme and button layout while running in GNOME :
    http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2008...logs-in-gnome/

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,776

    Default

    Ah, nice thread. I love "KDE sucks", "no Gnome sucks", "no you" threads

    So I'll jump right in. As a KDE fanboy, I think Gnome sucks. First, I don't like its API (Gtk.) Second, I don't like the reason Gnome came into existence in the first place ("free" alternative to "non-free" KDE). Third, I don't like the recent "WOW! Mono/.NET is awesome lets use it" mentality of the Gnome devs. Fourth, I don't like that Gtk doesn't integrate at all with Qt (while Qt does integrate with Gtk). Fifth, I don't like Gnome's configuration/tweaking options. Sixth, Gtk performance sucks compared to Qt. Seventh, Kwin4 stomps on Metacity. Seventh and a half, Kwin also stomps on the bloated overkill called Compiz.

    Oh man, I could go on all day long
    Last edited by RealNC; 11-05-2009 at 03:45 PM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by val-gaav View Post
    ... because gnome is better then kde for comercial interests. Redhat, SLED, well all the major comercial distros use gnome ... That on the other hand pays up with tools and other stuff from those companies that work yes in gtk+/gnome.


    That being said KDE is better for normal desktop use, which is not in the greatest interest of players right now aside from short netbook boom, which now ended with XP installed on almost all of those small things.
    No KDE is not better for normal desktop use. Not even remotely. It may be better for what _you_ use, but that does not translate to 'generally'.


    Dunno why I got quoted on this.. I stated it's not gnome fault. But ubuntu is a gnome centric distro so by nature things like that fuel some hate.

    Oh and FF on linux requires gtk+ and follows gnome HIG ... For me it is an app close to gnome, even if it's XUL deep under the hood. Openoffice has integration packages for both gtk+ and Qt4 so it's a bit different here, or rather it's just as you say in this case
    So? They still are not Gnome nor are they GTK software.

    Distros use those packages because they are useful and they try to integrate those into their desktops in best way possible; which is generally gnome.

    The reason I quote them is because people think that because that Firefox or OO.org don't have the standard placement for menu items and other things that 'each application has a different dialog' and such things. It's just nice to point out things so that people don't get confused.

    Oh, and Firefox is not 'deep down XUL'. It is entirely XUL and everything from the URL bar to the menu items to the main browser window is rendered with the same HTML engine. It's actually quite cool and you can run similar applications that are completely web-based..



    Sure and Widnows being popular does not dimnish Linux at all

    Gnome is not Windows and KDE is not Linux. Your comparing apples to oranges and it really has no correlation at all.

    KDE and Gnome are not mutually exclusive items. When I started using Linux there was enough differences that you had problems actually running KDE applications next to Gnome. There were incompatibilities with all sorts of things.

    Nowadays there are still look-n-feel conflicts, but it hardly stops people from choosing one or another or both.
    Last edited by drag; 11-05-2009 at 05:13 PM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drag View Post
    No KDE is not better for normal desktop use. Not even remotely. It may be better for what _you_ use, but that does not translate to 'generally'.
    1) Most desktop users like to configure their desktop to a certain degree making it more "personal". To do that with gnome you must be a geek and venture into gconf or/and use third party programs. To do that with KDE you just have to look for option/settings that interest you.

    2) KDE is more like windows gui. The most obvious one panel at the down screen vs two panels in Gnome is a big point here. That really seems to be a heck of a problem for people, believe me.

    3) KDE technology focuses on desktop use while Gnome on more corporate and server use. For example Kde has compositing and plasmoid by default to get those in Gnome you have to use third party apps.

    Gnome is not Windows and KDE is not Linux. Your comparing apples to oranges and it really has no correlation at all.
    By your logic any comparision is invalid then, because whatever I compare it to, it will always not be Gnome and not be KDE.

    KDE and Gnome are not mutually exclusive items. When I started using Linux there was enough differences that you had problems actually running KDE applications next to Gnome. There were incompatibilities with all sorts of things.
    Well I remember experiencing tray problems in the old days, your memory may reach even further ...
    Though really it's quite madness IMHO, the current situation is better, but if this was Apple or Ms I believe they would try to fix the gtk+ qt inconsistency mess ... I do hope community will do the same, though I hope so for like 5 or 6 years already ...
    Last edited by val-gaav; 11-05-2009 at 06:43 PM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drag View Post
    hate Windows because it is exceptionally unpleasant OS to use.
    Then, check out this gem!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIgEFIv5MI


  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabriah View Post
    Nice! "Welcome to Windows 7 Beta!!!"

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,984

    Default

    Having alternatives is simply good, that's why it happened and continues to happen. KDE and Gnome will never unify, or if they will, someone will fork both, and then there will be three major DEs :P

    And on the flaming topic, KDE and Gnome both suck. Heavy bloated crap. I'll have my sound without pulsing, my settings without gconf *cough registry cough*, and my WM without hundreds-of-megs ram use.

    Then on the bottom end, Qt and Gtk+ are both good. They are different, but they both work. Apps are free to be UI-agnostic, for example Pidgin is libpurple and an UI can be created with any toolkit. Then it's only up to interested people to have an IM app in Fox.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •