XvMC Comes To xf86-video-unichrome Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Honestly I'm not a programmer. I really dont know how those things work. Being a radeon user though, and your experience with ATi hardware, and clearly your experience with XvMC would seem like a logical choice.

I guess I could more appropriately phrase my question as "Why implement XvMC in unichrome when it would serve a whole lot more people to implement it in radeon?"
    So other hardware should not be cared for?

I started out with unichrome in 2003. I own a very comprehensive set of hardware today. I developed the fundamental concepts of modesetting today on unichrome. And without my work on unichrome, you would not even have a free r500 and up driver today (because then ATI would have gotten away with trying to kill radeonhd before the release), you would be stuck with fglrx and some spare-time attempt at a free driver that was struggling due to a lack of resources and a lack of information.

But really, what does any of this have to do with this topic?

Comment

Soooo uuuuhhhhhh,,,,

Hows that.... ummmmm...... documentation coming?
      It's still being delayed by me having implemented real modesetting more than two years ago

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
        So other hardware should not be cared for?

I started out with unichrome in 2003. I own a very comprehensive set of hardware today. I developed the fundamental concepts of modesetting today on unichrome. And without my work on unichrome, you would not even have a free r500 and up driver today (because then ATI would have gotten away with trying to kill radeonhd before the release), you would be stuck with fglrx and some spare-time attempt at a free driver that was struggling due to a lack of resources and a lack of information.

But really, what does any of this have to do with this topic?
        The Topic is XvMC comes to unichrome, which is exactly what we are discussing isnt it? If that isnt on topic then I dont know what is.

I'm definately not saying that unichrome shouldnt be cared for too. I think your work is great. I'm glad to see the state of video acceleration improving in linux even if it is for some barely useful video card that almost nobody uses....

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
          It's still being delayed by me having implemented real modesetting more than two years ago
          The unichrome driver seems to work great. I'm not sure what you mean by "real modesetting" though. Does Via use something like AtomBIOS too?

Comment

The Topic is XvMC comes to unichrome, which is exactly what we are discussing isnt it? If that isnt on topic then I dont know what is.

I'm definately not saying that unichrome shouldnt be cared for too. I think your work is great. I'm glad to see the state of video acceleration improving in linux even if it is for some barely useful video card that almost nobody uses....
            Well...

Intel is the big monopolist that owns a big team of developers, most of which just care about their own individual stature or having fun, and they are steering the linux desktop straight into the abyss.
            Nvidia is the big closed source firm that might vanish at any moment, and that will never open up.
            AMD never really managed to get ATI under control, ATI current controls AMD. Have you seen any free docs on real hardware stuff recently?

What is left after those three?

VIA. Stupid .tw people (it's a cultural thing) who never really have understood free software. At least they are not evil, and might actually be open to change for the better of free software.

Comment

The unichrome driver seems to work great. I'm not sure what you mean by "real modesetting" though. Does Via use something like AtomBIOS too?
              Almost... Just pointing out that every delay in bridgman providing documentation, or not delivering at all, used to be blamed on me writing real drivers and the SUSE devs asking questions. Questions which never really got answers from ATI anyway, and most of those answers were needed for a "full" atombios based modesetting driver too.

Comment

I tested that driver on a problematic via laptop. It only runs with vesa currently. Not even switching from unichrome to vesa worked. No edid was used, here are the EE/WW lines:

(WW) VT3371 support is experimental.
                (EE) UNICHROME(0): Unknown Card-Ids (1509|1E30), report this to [email protected] ASAP
                (WW) UNICHROME(0): ViaScratchGet: It is possible that PanelSize wasn't initialised properly
                (EE) UNICHROME(0): No active output found.
                (EE) UNICHROME(0): No outputs possible.
                (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  I tested that driver on a problematic via laptop. It only runs with vesa currently. Not even switching from unichrome to vesa worked. No edid was used, here are the EE/WW lines:

(WW) VT3371 support is experimental.
                  (EE) UNICHROME(0): Unknown Card-Ids (1509|1E30), report this to [email protected] ASAP
                  (WW) UNICHROME(0): ViaScratchGet: It is possible that PanelSize wasn't initialised properly
                  (EE) UNICHROME(0): No active output found.
                  (EE) UNICHROME(0): No outputs possible.
                  (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
                  Wow! A kontron device with workable pciids! This must be like a first, usually embedded vendors forgo such niceties.

Can you get onto the unichrome-devel mailinglist, and provide more info on this board (at least a board model name).

Don't expect any miracles just yet though, while i have added basic modesetting support for all unichrome devices just now, i still need to go and add panel/dvi/tv/hdmi support for the full range.

Comment

I can not test it when i want. It was a Kanotix user laptop called Belinea c.book VA250G. Had only ssh access.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      I can not test it when i want. It was a Kanotix user laptop called Belinea c.book VA250G. Had only ssh access.
                      Ah, ok, will add this model to the id list.

Comment

Working...
                      X