Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XvMC Comes To xf86-video-unichrome Driver

Phoronix: XvMC Comes To xf86-video-unichrome Driver

Earlier this year Luc Verhaegen, one of the key contributors to the RadeonHD graphics driver, was laid off from Novell after a round of cutbacks at their German facility. While remaining unemployed, Luc has contributed to the CoreBoot project with ATI graphics card flashing support and native VGA text mode support, among other work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's nice that Phoronix keeps us up to date on our FOSS heroes. I hope Luc finds employment soon. I heard there's an opening at ATI...

Comment

So...
      He implemented XvMC in a manner that is 1) incompatible with existing assumptions about the implementation of XvMC, and 2) is limited to a driver for hardware that hardly anyone uses.

What exactly does this accomplish?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        So...
        He implemented XvMC in a manner that is 1) incompatible with existing assumptions about the implementation of XvMC, and 2) is limited to a driver for hardware that hardly anyone uses.

What exactly does this accomplish?
        It is compatible with existing XvMC clients. I just question assumptions everywhere and usually find where they are wrong, it's how i am. Also; of course it is limited to this driver, that's how all XvMC drivers are.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
          It is compatible with existing XvMC clients. I just question assumptions everywhere and usually find where they are wrong, it's how i am. Also; of course it is limited to this driver, that's how all XvMC drivers are.
          I have to agree with him though. Why implement it in Unichrome? Radeon would have given you a much larger user base for testing, and would have been immediately useful to a whole lot more people.

Comment

I can probably answer that one... info is available to program the video decode hardware on the Via chip but not on our chip.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              I have to agree with him though. Why implement it in Unichrome? Radeon would have given you a much larger user base for testing, and would have been immediately useful to a whole lot more people.
              ???

I implemented unichrome MPEG2 hardware slice decoding acceleration. I wrote a tiny X protocol to feed the mpeg data into the part of the driver that feeds that data into the hardware. The tiny X protocol was not the goal, it was a tool to function as a back-end for the unichrome XvMC client library, and it will not grow beyond this driver.

Why you think this involves other drivers is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                I can probably answer that one... info is available to program the video decode hardware on the Via chip but not on our chip.
                Eh? I did not care about implementing just any XvMC support.

But more on that next week on my blog, right now i am waiting for the masses to stop roaring about this important new development.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
                  ???

I implemented unichrome MPEG2 hardware slice decoding acceleration. I wrote a tiny X protocol to feed the mpeg data into the part of the driver that feeds that data into the hardware. The tiny X protocol was not the goal, it was a tool to function as a back-end for the unichrome XvMC client library, and it will not grow beyond this driver.

Why you think this involves other drivers is beyond me.
                  Honestly I'm not a programmer. I really dont know how those things work. Being a radeon user though, and your experience with ATi hardware, and clearly your experience with XvMC would seem like a logical choice.

I guess I could more appropriately phrase my question as "Why implement XvMC in unichrome when it would serve a whole lot more people to implement it in radeon?"

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Soooo uuuuhhhhhh,,,,

Hows that.... ummmmm...... documentation coming?

Comment

Working...
                    X