Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.0 May Not Come Until September 2010

Phoronix: GNOME 3.0 May Not Come Until September 2010

Back in July of 2008 we learned of GNOME 3.0 as plans were laid out during the GUADEC '08 conference to make the GNOME 2.30 release their "3.0" version. A art and user-interface followed months later and then this April the GNOME 3.0 road-map was laid out that put this release, which will overhaul the GNOME desktop in comparison to the usual incremental releases, to come in March of 2010...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Between Windows 7, MacOS and Kde4...... what is the purpose of gnome? We don't need another Windows 98 user interface do we?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      Between Windows 7, MacOS and Kde4...... what is the purpose of gnome? We don't need another Windows 98 user interface do we?
      i cant believe i had to do this. I mean, seriously.

Comment

It's probably best if it got pushed back a little. I'm sure the GNOME guys don't want to repeat KDE 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
          It's probably best if it got pushed back a little. I'm sure the GNOME guys don't want to repeat KDE 4.0
          Agreed, I like the idea of a nicer interface for gnome, but the current state of gnome-shell doesn't build a whole lot of confidence in having something stable and feature full by March.

Comment

Yeah I agree as well. Better later and good than sooner and shitty.

@L33F3R
            Good shot hahaha!

Comment

I really like the way Gnome shell is going, but i'm glad they are going to take more time to finish it. Its still missing a lot of functionality.

I'm satisfied with using classic Gnome for now anyway, as i'm sure a lot of people are.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                You also forget to mention that it's better to be KDE4 than Enlightenment e17.

Or better to be KDE4 than to be Gnome even. Gnome 2.0 game out in 2002. In 7 years, can you honestly name me 5 major improvements? Do they even have a stable full featured music manager yet? (IIRC Banshee still doesn't support sorting by genre). Clean or not, that's a damn shame.

And I say this as a gnome users on Gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post

Oh come on now, at least show a pic of Win98 with the plus pack installed And of course your Gnome is 8 mb as well right?

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post

Comparing Real W98 with fake Gnome screen-shot?

This is real and actual "vanilla" gnome with its typical W98 appearance. And in version 3.0, it will be much more similar to W98, Because the triple menu will be replaced with single button activities menu.

Comment

Working...
                    X