New Features For KDE 4.4 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by callegar View Post
    I hope that I am wrong, but it looks like this is going to be the fourth major release of kde4 with poor bluetooth support.

If it's not in the list of new features it doesn't mean it doesn't exists; quite the contrary. Real hackers don't like PRs, most of the wonderful features are always not publicized at all. Just dig in the mailing list and you'll discover a whole new world!

I know that's a pain, but it looks like marketing is not something open source project are able to do very well!

Comment

Another great not so publicized thing is webkit in konqueror. From reading dev mailing list kdewebkit seems to be in review for kdelibs so with kde 4.4 we may get an alternative engine to khtml. With that kde may finally have a good webbrowser that works with sites tha khtml does not.

Comment

@panda84 and val-gaav

Firstly, the techbase pages are really primarily for contributors to keep track of stuff (though of course it's great for anyone else to use them to get project info). They are also wiki pages so the developers or anyone else can keep them updated to reflect the current state - but yes, not everyone gets around to this. I'd rather they get on with coding the features than updating the wiki, if it comes to that choice :-)

Regarding promo - we write an in-depth release announcement, feature overview and story for KDE.News for the major releases (such as 4.4). We think it is better to promote these things once they are actually released, promotion efforts for features that don't currently exist in released software can confuse users and make people unhappy - if we promote a feature that probably isn't in the KDE 4 that people are using then that seems a bit wrong. Things like KDE support and the WebKit part for Konqueror will surely be in the release marketing if they make it in to KDE 4.4

Of course, our marketing is not perfect, but we do try :-)

Stu (KDE promo peep)

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
          Another great not so publicized thing is webkit in konqueror. From reading dev mailing list kdewebkit seems to be in review for kdelibs so with kde 4.4 we may get an alternative engine to khtml. With that kde may finally have a good webbrowser that works with sites tha khtml does not.
          You have been able to use webkit for Konq for quite a while now. It was even in 4.0 IIRC although it may have been 4.1.

Last edited by deanjo; 04 November 2009, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            There's also the announcement of Project Timelord that is hopefully going to improve Kubuntu, which isn't as polished as the Gnome's Ubuntu.
            I'm sure that's not what you actually meant, but it's funny to read that Ubuntu is polished

Comment

Working...
            X