Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA Keeps Trying For Kernel Inclusion Of Its DRM

Phoronix: VIA Keeps Trying For Kernel Inclusion Of Its DRM

Last December the Linux folks at VIA Technologies had released their Chrome 9 series DRM code, which is needed for Linux 3D support with these newer-generation VIA IGPs, but this initial version ended up getting rejected from inclusion into the mainline kernel on the basis of the rest of VIA's 3D stack for the Chrome 9 being closed-source and some problems with the code itself. The situation was similar to that of Intel's Poulsbo DRM being rejected from reaching the mainline Linux kernel earlier this year. This July the Chrome 9 DRM was re-released with aspirations of getting it in the mainline Linux kernel, but it was virtually the same as December's version and it too got knocked down for inclusion on the basis of no open-source "clients" using this Direct Rendering Manager driver and security issues with the code itself. In August there was then another new VIA 2D driver released, but unlike the various other VIA Linux drivers out there, this one actually uses the new DRM code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

S3TC in exchange for pushing their DRM, good deal, isn't it?

Comment

It seems that Bruce uses a translation software?

Anyway, if there is a really good working free 2d driver and the drm code is also good, it should be integrated, shouldn't it?

Comment

I think Linus/whoever is responsible should accept their drm into the kernel. It's obvious that they're trying hard to get included, and if they'll be rejected again they might get frustrated and decide to drop their FOSS efforts altogether.

Comment

What FOSS efforts? There may be effort, but I have yet to see any results confirming that effort is being made. I recently junked my Via C7 mobo in favor of an Intel dual core Atom system, and it was a HUGE upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Eosie View Post
            S3TC in exchange for pushing their DRM, good deal, isn't it?
            This.

(And yeah, VIA utterly dropped the ball with mini-itx and let intel roll right over them. Look @ newegg's mini-itx selection for proof.)

Comment

It should get included. They _are_ trying, and having it there would benefit users.

Comment

... for sure it will not benefit users at least not the long term, as it would lead to more companies blobs (one green light for this kind of inclusion and it means other are permited too). More blobs equals less secure and stable OS, if you want that you can always use windows blobland.

and well VIA has a "great" reputation among linux community so I'm sure VIA users are almost extinct here anyway.

Comment

What does the inclusion of drm actually give them?
                  Will it mean their binary driver will be less depended on the kernel version?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                    I think Linus/whoever is responsible should accept their drm into the kernel. It's obvious that they're trying hard to get included, and if they'll be rejected again they might get frustrated and decide to drop their FOSS efforts altogether.
                    Providing a binary driver is not really considered 'effort' amongst the linux community is it?

Besides they are a rather marginal company now, so if they don't want to play by our rules, we can live without them. On the other hand by committing to a free driver or releasing specifications, they could gain a considerable following amongst linux users.

Comment

Working...
                    X