AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
    +++++++++++++++++1+++++++++++A+++++++++++ you get it!

GOOD move! GOGOGOGOGOGo
    But Qaridarium, there are viable and usable FLOSS drivers for network and sound hardware. Why would anyone use propriety drivers where there are good FLOSS drivers?

When there is hardware you need to use without good FLOSS drivers and there are good propriety drivers, you surely use the propriety drivers.

Comment

• Qaridarium, consider the state of openness of the hardware that you're using right at this very moment. There isn't any viable open hardware, so you choose closed hardware. It's the pragmatic thing to do.

Why can no one be pragmatic with respect to video hardware?

Comment

"I want FULL functioning of the card"

you can get this only with full opensource spec of your hardware!

because there are many functions in the card you can't use with a cloused source driver! because the driver do not give you full access to the hardware!
        This applies to ATI, not nVidia.

Comment

anyone needs to start! if there is no opensource network driver anyone needs to start! if there is no opensource sound driver anyone needs to start!

you only talk abaut the problem abaut a chicken and a egg is the egg first or the chicken?

anyone needs to start! 4-5 years ago i buy a card for the 2007 dosn't exist opensource driver!

anyone needs to starting buying the 'right' hardware for opensource drivers!
          But you're assuming your requirements for a graphics card are the only requirements that everyone else has and this is plainly wrong.

Where the 'right' hardware doesn't have the required enablement via it's drivers (either open or closed source) what is one to do? Well, one buys different hardware, that's what.

Comment

• delete,... delete...

Comment

there is 1 opensource hardware GPU-card!

Traversal Technology OGD1

but no one need a opensource hardware-GPU!

really no one!

nee only need good opensource drivers!
              You make no sense. You argue for openness only when it suites you.

Comment

a Traversal Technology OGD1 makes no sense because this card cost 1500?!

I do not like the UVD unit of the ati cards and also i do not like the h264 codex!
                the viedeo acceleration units can handle mpeg2 and h264 2 patented worst case codex!
                in my point of view they can shot the uvd unit+h264+mpeg2 to mars or to the sun!

if amd was my company i would really push out this worst dump uvd+mpeg2+h264 out of my products!

and add shader-based-VP8+OGGTheora+Dirac
                But you argue for openness at the cost of everything else.

So even you have your limits to how open your computer is.

Comment

if amd was my company i would really push out this worst dump uvd+mpeg2+h264 out of my products!

and add shader-based-VP8+OGGTheora+Dirac
                  Since you claim full specs of the HW help you do everything with FLOSS, then why don't you start implementing those codecs then?

Comment

• Originally posted by hans View Post
                    well i do care if it is oss or not. Not because i am fanatic or anything like it. But i will try making you to see my point.

If we didn't care, why not also make our sound drivers proprietary? What about the network card drivers? I don't think we should take oss drivers for granted, because without them linux wouldn't be what it is today. One could say that having only the gfx driver proprietary, is something we could live with (i do). But i would not like it if linux would become the same kind of proprietary driver hell as in windows (it would if everyone did the same as nvidia).

Thats why i think amd/ati is doing the right thing making oss drivers, and in the end supporting linux's oss environment. Everyone should do that, because its the right way of doing things in linux.
                    +1

Comment

• "I want FULL functioning of the card"

you can get this only with full opensource spec of your hardware!

because there are many functions in the card you can't use with a cloused source driver! because the driver do not give you full access to the hardware!
                      Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                      This applies to ATI, not nVidia.
                      It applies to Fermi, at least. Not sure about older cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X