No announcement yet.

AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just upgraded xvba, libva packages, and using the latest mplayer build. Switching to fullscreen while Kwin composition is running introduces flickering (or colored garbage in some videos). With no composition running it works fine though.

Comment

• The new version also works.

Comment

• I've been trying to get this to work on an amd64 multilib gentoo on 780G hardware.
        I managed to compile everything, but ran into a problem.
        vainfo (and as a result the entire chain) is unable to get the driver name out of my xserver...
        It is an error I haven't been able to match against any relevant google hits, so I thought I'd ask about it here.

libva: libva version 0.31.0
        Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
        libva: va_getDriverName() returns -1
        vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

strace tells me that there are repeated read requests to X0 which result in "-1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)".
        Obviously "temporarily unavailable" isn't quite so temporary.
        I've tried restarting X, rebooting even. I'm not sure which aspect of va_getDriverName() fails - it doesn't seem to be connected to the missing DRI, as everybody has that.

fglrx 10.2 has been succesfully installed, I've got hardware accelerated 3D working, UVD2 gets reported as well.
        So once I can make libva work with my Xserver everything should be fine.
        Is there any obvious cause I am missing (some useflag/kernel option), or is this an actual bug somewhere?

Comment

• Maybe you did not install the needed libs. The official installer does not for 64 bit.

Comment

• I've used the gentoo ebuild - I'll check what that does...

Comment

• It doesn't call the official installer at least.
              But I've also seen no specific mention of any related libraries being built by the ebuild...
              I'll have another look through the official installer..

Comment

• I've now used the modified ATI-install script, did rmmod, modprobe, reboot...still same result

Comment

• Same result for me; the newest libva AMD64 packages and libxvba do not work for me as well. However, the newest libxvba and the older libva packages work perfectly!

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineGrace View Post
                    Same result for me; the newest libva AMD64 packages and libxvba do not work for me as well. However, the newest libxvba and the older libva packages work perfectly!
                    I have just tried on Ubuntu 9.10 (amd64) + fglrx 8.70.3 (10.2-RC) and it works. Are you sure you have downloaded 0.31.0-1+sds10 and not 0.31.0-1+sds1?

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                      I have just tried on Ubuntu 9.10 (amd64) + fglrx 8.70.3 (10.2-RC) and it works. Are you sure you have downloaded 0.31.0-1+sds10 and not 0.31.0-1+sds1?
                      Yes, I'm positive about what I downloaded, Gwenole.
                      I used Cat 9.10, amd64 on both Squeeze and Jaunty and received error messages when I attempted to open both 720p and 1080p videos.
                      I reverted back to libva1_0.31.0-1+sds9_amd64.deb but kept xvba-video_0.6.9-1_amd64.deb and the error messages vanished. This was with the mobile HD 2600 on my notebook.

Comment

Working...
                      X