AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
    You are a lucky guy really, because i have got LOTS of h264 which does not work. With 9-10 i had even system crashes with some testfiles. vc1 works more stable however.
    All my 4 movies with H.264 codec worked without any problems.
    I haven't tried vc1 though.

EDIT:

Oh and you should try this:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1D4BX1U9 Bird_42_MBit_ABR_(+-1.5 MBit).mkv 109.6 MB

From this page:

Its resolution is 1920x1072, but runs smooth. I can see in the page's comments, that a GeForce 8600M GT 128 MB got about 180 frame drops. As far as I can see I got none in fullscreen. Run it in a window it doesn't run that smooth, but thats probably caused by compositing.

I am very very impressed by this. I even could compile wine at the same time, without any performance drop in the movie.
    Last edited by tball; 31 December 2009, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Wow. I'm pretty impressed. With Catalyst 9.12Hotfix/64bit and the new xvba-video (2009.12.28), the subtitles and OSDs are fixed

I'm really really impressed. I tested with 5 of my 720p and only one of them had corrupt colours.

Keep it up

Comment

• xvba-video 0.6.2

A new version is now available at:
        splitted-desktop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, splitted-desktop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Version 0.6.2 - 14.Jan.2010
        * Fix VA buffer leaks when decoded surfaces are not used
        * Add support for RGBA, NV12 and YV12 image formats for vaPutImage()
        * Don't capture keyboard and mouse events in windowed rendering mode with OpenGL

Version 0.6.1 - 11.Jan.2010
        * Add support for surfaces not bound to any VA context for plain rendering
        * Avoid flickering in windowed rendering mode with OpenGL (vaPutSurface())
        * Fix windowed rendering with OpenGL for clips larger than the visible area

Comment

• Is it too hard to add 2 latest symlinks for the debs? The tar.gz files are useless on Debian - or add at least a text file with the latest version to parse. I hate to change the script always. And please do not force vdpau - with libvdpau-dev installed (and without disable-vdpau option) mplayer could be considered as completely broken without vaapi mode.

update:
          it is definitely also broken when --disable-vdpau is used. Using xv is still impossible as vdpau code is forced which will NEVER work. Funny mplayer when you only the vaapi code works and nothing else. I would prefer the git-mt code with dual/quad core support...

update 2:
          i added this hotfix in my script to fix the vdpau issue:
          Code:
          perl -pi -e 's/.*mplayer-vdpau.patch\n//' checkout-patch-build.sh
          Last edited by Kano; 13 January 2010, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• Hehe, I thought all of my rendering problems were resolved after updating to xvba-video-0.6.2.x86_64 and mplayer-vaapi-20100105 (no scaling error and ASS subs rendered OK), until I tried playing the Bird_42_MBit_ABR test video. It seems that this rev of MPlayer isn't using hardware acceleration at all - my CPU usage peaked at 100%, whereas it was ~3% for past mplayer-vaapi builds.

Code:
            $ mplayer-vaapi-20100105/mplayer-vaapi/mplayer -va vaapi -vo vaapi:gl ~/Desktop/Bird_42_MBit_ABR_\(+-1.5\ MBit\).mkv
            MPlayer SVN-r30226-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team

Playing /home/user/Desktop/Bird_42_MBit_ABR_(+-1.5 MBit).mkv.
            [mkv] Track ID 1: video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC), -vid 0
            [mkv] Will play video track 1.
            [mkv] No audio track found/wanted.
            Matroska file format detected.
            VIDEO:  [avc1]  1920x1072  24bpp  23.976 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
            [vo_vaapi] Using OpenGL rendering
            libva: libva version 0.31.0-sds4
            libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
            libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
            libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
            [ass] auto-open
            [ass] Init
            [ass] Updating font cache.
            ==========================================================================
            Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
            [VD_FFMPEG] VA API accelerated codec.
            Unsupported PixelFormat -1
            Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
            ==========================================================================
            Audio: no sound
            Starting playback...
            [VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=0.
            Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
            Opening video filter: [scale]
            The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
            Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
            e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
            [VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=1.
            Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
            Opening video filter: [scale]
            The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
            Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
            e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
            [VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=2.
            Movie-Aspect is 1.79:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
            VO: [vaapi] 1920x1072 => 1920x1072 Planar YV12 
            V:  22.9   0/  0 93%  9%  0.0% 0 0 

Exiting... (End of file)
            Perhaps my high CPU usage is due to MPlayer running into colorspace issues and running -vf scale to compensate?

Comment

• Originally posted by xipu View Post
              Hehe, I thought all of my rendering problems were resolved after updating to xvba-video-0.6.2.x86_64 and mplayer-vaapi-20100105 (no scaling error and ASS subs rendered OK), until I tried playing the Bird_42_MBit_ABR test video. It seems that this rev of MPlayer isn't using hardware acceleration at all - my CPU usage peaked at 100%, whereas it was ~3% for past mplayer-vaapi builds.
              - Does this happen with other H.264 video clips too?
              - If not, where can this video clip be found?
              - Does this happen with the precompiled binary too?
              - If not, what is the log output from mplayer -vo vaapi:gl -va vaapi -msglevel decvideo=9:vo=9 /your/file ?
              - What is the last MPlayer version that worked for you with xvba-video 0.6.2?

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                - If not, what is the log output from mplayer -vo vaapi:gl -va vaapi -msglevel decvideo=9:vo=9 /your/file ?
                Hi G, I've determined the cause of the problem. My mplayer config file included "ass=1" (enable ass subtitles), and somehow this broke the vaapi, which I suppose caused MPlayer to revert to software decoding. When I comment out this line in my config, vaapi works as expected. For some reason my mlayer-vaapi builds from your 20091127~20091228 sources are not affected.

This is the file I mentioned (tball posted it earlier in this thread):
                http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1D4BX1U...-1.5 MBit).mkv
                I saw similar results with this test clip (which incidentally is great low motion test clip):
                http://www.bealecorner.org/red/Haakon-2k-clip.mov

Anyway, if you're looking for a repro, try this:
                1. Play the video using only these flags: "-va vaapi -vo vaapi" (the :gl part is optional); observe CPU usage
                2. Play the video again, but this time include the "-ass" flag, which enables fancy ASS subtitles

In (1), cpu usage is low and vaapi seems to work. In (2), cpu usage is high, and I see the messages about using "-vf scale" etc. It doesn't appear to matter whether the video includes a subtitle track or not.

Hope this helps - keep up the good work!

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                  Bird_42_MBit_ABR runs fine on my computer (HD4650) with thiese versions:
                  - libva-0.31.0
                  - mplayer-vaapi-20091228
                  - xvba-video-0.6.0

I would love to test the latest bits if I had time. But I just wandered to say that it had actually worked.

@xipu
                  Try run it sith -fs parameter. It makes the movie start in fullscreen, and made the bird movie run smooth on my computer.

Comment

• Originally posted by tball View Post
                    Try run it sith -fs parameter. It makes the movie start in fullscreen, and made the bird movie run smooth on my computer.
                    If you were using -vo vaapi only (no :gl), then try with xvba-video >= 0.6.1. This contains a workaround to driver bugs so that windowed mode is now as smooth as fullscreen. Well, at least on my 780G + driver similar to 9.12-HotFix.

BTW, I also uploaded a new MPlayer/VAAPI at:
                    splitted-desktop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, splitted-desktop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Version 2010.01.14
                    * Update to MPlayer SVN rev 30302 and FFmpeg SVN rev 21211
                    * Fix playback chain of multiple video clips
                    * Fix VDPAU port to the AVHWAccel infrastructure for newer FFmpeg
                    * Fix checkout-patch-build.sh to abort when a patch failed to apply

Comment

• The vdpau integration works now as expected with -va vdpau -vo vdpau, i could not verify a fix for the multiply video clips crash with vaapi (it crashes both xvba+vdpau-video backends), it works with pure vdpau. vaapi/vdpau-video still shows the video too high and fullscreen is bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X