AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FHS says:

"The 64-bit architectures PPC64, s390x, sparc64 and AMD64 must place 64-bit libraries in /lib64, and 32-bit (or 31-bit on s390) libraries in /lib."

Comment

• which just shows how incredible standards can be.

Logically it does not make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
        which just shows how incredible standards can be.

Logically it does not make sense.
        Take that up with the Linux Foundation since they maintain the FHS. It is however the "standard" and there for compatibility reasons for older code that predates 64-bit.

Comment

• yeah, I mean, before amd64 was around there was nobody else using 64bit libs....

Comment

yeah, I mean, before amd64 was around there was nobody else using 64bit libs....
            Excuse me? amd64 was one of the last to the 64-bit party. sparc64, s390x, ppc64 (and more) all pre-date amd64 by a healthy amount of time.

Comment

• irony tags, we really need them....

and because of that: where did they put the libs back then?

Comment

irony tags, we really need them....

and because of that: where did they put the libs back then?
                they were put in lib64

Comment

• Wow, this thread has drifted way off-topic! Anyway Michael was right after all they are finally going to officially release UVD at the end of this month with the Catalyst 11.1 release. I found some internal slides, and apparently it's going to be a real winner. They say it wins hands down on features compared to NVIDIA's vdpau solution.

Nah, just a stupid joke just like fglrx is a big joke. Sad, but I think I'll just have to face the facts: ATI/AMD on Linux is going nowhere and will always be a problematic solution. I have wasted enough time waiting for AMD to get their act together, next card will be an NVIDIA card.

Comment

except when they land in /usr/lib32 where they belong.
                    No, /usr/lib32 is a Debian/Ubuntu aberration. The standard location for 32-bit libraries on a bi-arch amd64 system is /usr/lib as on x86. /usr/lib64 is for 64-bit libraries. /usr/lib32 is usually for enhanced 32-bit binaries like you have on mips for N32 binaries. O32 remaining in /usr/lib and N64 go to N64.

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post

Nah, just a stupid joke just like fglrx is a big joke. Sad, but I think I'll just have to face the facts: ATI/AMD on Linux is going nowhere and will always be a problematic solution. I have wasted enough time waiting for AMD to get their act together, next card will be an NVIDIA card.
                      Hey, Evergreen support broke again in 11.1 drivers? So, it was fixed only for one to two Catalyst releases? I don't even want to try...

Comment

Working...
                      X