AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    No, but we generally don't talk about future plans for Catalyst anyways.

LOL So in effect gbeauche could today bump to his potential 0.8.x-series and probably easily implement it on the v2.3 SDK supplied OVDECODE_API On Windows, Today.

and so all the windows OSS developers could then integrate that into FFmpeg,VLC etc, adding Yet one More video decode option to their growing OSS windows code base, But Linux today cant do even one fully working option for all (UVD1 through UVD3) AMD based cards due to known reported bug's/missing OVdecode, but you cant get anyone inside to talk to you/us about even the potential timeline for this one required library

Comment

• yea i removed the devices with UVD1 option on windows OpenCL OVDECODE as clearly they will never be an OpenCL device option probably, the UVD2's could be though...

Comment

• Originally posted by popper View Post
        but you cant get anyone inside to talk to you/us about even the potential timeline for this one required library
        For clarity, I only said that we don't publish driver plans so even if I *did* know it wouldn't make a difference.

My job is on the open source side so I'm not normally involved with Catalyst development, except when there is some kind of crossover issue (eg co-existence between the drivers or installing Catalyst on a distro that defaults to KMS).
        Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          Something really needs to happen to enable hardware acceleration on cards like the 2xxx series . Compared to windows linux is quite unusable when it comes to watching hd videos right now.

I know its not like totally amd's fault or anything, as the whole situation for stuff like hardware acceleration in linux is kind of a mess in the first place.

vdpau may not have as flexible of an api, but when it comes to getting support from stuff like video players, and flash it would definitely be the way to go. I don't see flash adding support for other api's besides vdpau anytime soon. And many linux players already support vdpau, getting va-api/xvba working is a lot more difficult.

I am sure you know a lot more on the subject than I, however.
          Currently UVD1 seems also to not work on Windows 7 (at least for me). So far, my HD2600 isn't decoding videos by hardware anymore (at least in latest 5/6 month catalyst versions). I can confirm this using latest Catalyst Drivers (10.12) and enabling explicitly DxVA acceleration on WMP or in VLC (1.1.5).

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by evolution View Post
            Currently UVD1 seems also to not work on Windows 7 (at least for me). So far, my HD2600 isn't decoding videos by hardware anymore (at least in latest 5/6 month catalyst versions). I can confirm this using latest Catalyst Drivers (10.12) and enabling explicitly DxVA acceleration on WMP or in VLC (1.1.5).

Cheers
            From what I hear this a bug that started happening in cat 10.12. I am using 10.11 (either that or 10.10) I believe on my laptop (hd2600) and it works.

Comment

• nevermind I just checked, I am on cat 10.8 on my laptop, and dxva works. I've seen a lot of people say this started happening when they installed cat 10.12 (dxva not working on uvd1 cards)

Comment

nevermind I just checked, I am on cat 10.8 on my laptop, and dxva works. I've seen a lot of people say this started happening when they installed cat 10.12 (dxva not working on uvd1 cards)
                [Significantly Off-Topic:]

Does it work with Catalyst 10.8 on Windows? Maybe I'll give it a try again , but I don't believe it will solve my DxVA problem... (if it solves, fine then!)

For me, from what I remember, Catalyst 10.8 was the first Linux Catalyst version (since Catalyst 10.4) that didn't work with xvba acceleration in my HD2600 (for newer cards, and as I said before, no problems)...

Cheers

Comment

vdpau may not have as flexible of an api, but when it comes to getting support from stuff like video players, and flash it would definitely be the way to go. I don't see flash adding support for other api's besides vdpau anytime soon.
                  So, you really know Adobe plans?

And many linux players already support vdpau, getting va-api/xvba working is a lot more difficult.
                  It's not a lot more difficult, it's actually easier. Less code to duplicate accross video players, easier OpenGL interop, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I didn't think OpenDecode had been released for Linux -- AFAIK it is Windows-only right now.
                    Looking at data structures for DXVA, XvBA, OpenDecode, I would have assumed Linux would have been supported first...

Comment

• Originally posted by evolution View Post
                      Finally, thanks for reporting the problem with UVD1 video cards and recent catalyst versions (It'd be a nice new year present if ATI devs could fix the problem...)
                      Sorry, I can't report anything for chipsets we don't use. FYI, the Evergreen rendering bug was first reported 2009/12/14 and was finally fixed 2010/12/14, exactly one year later. So, please be patient.

Comment

Working...
                      X