No announcement yet.

AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had success with Cat 10.1 and XvBA?
    Considering the facts that I could not even build packages for Ubuntu 9.04 or Debian Testing, I will stay with 9.10/9,12 for now.

Comment

• It is impossible to see improvements with XvBA but at least it is not completly broken. My script can install it on Ubuntu up to 9.10. Debian testing/sid is impossible. Kanotix works of couse or Debian stable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
        It is impossible to see improvements with XvBA but at least it is not completly broken. My script can install it on Ubuntu up to 9.10. Debian testing/sid is impossible. Kanotix works of couse or Debian stable.

http://kanotix.com/files/install-nvidia-debian.sh
        Kano, I used your script and successfully installed Cat 10.1 on Debian lenny, with kernel 2.6.32-trunk-amd64.

However, when I attempt to run mplayer-vaapi with gbeauchesne's latest XvBA wrapper, I get this error message:

MPlayer SVN-r30302-4.3.2 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
        mplayer: could not connect to socket
        mplayer: No such file or directory
        Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing sniper.inside.the.crosshairs.720p-dhd.mkv.
        [mkv] Track ID 1: audio (A_AC3), -aid 0, -alang und
        [mkv] Track ID 2: video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC), -vid 0
        [mkv] Will play video track 2.
        Matroska file format detected.
        VIDEO: [avc1] 1280x720 24bpp 23.976 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
        [vo_vaapi] Using OpenGL rendering, with reflection effects
        libva: libva version 0.31.0-sds4
        Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
        libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
        libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
        libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
        mplayer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1: undefined symbol: XF86DRIOpenConnection

I'll try running your script on Debian squeeze and see how that works. If not, I will just revert to 9.10 or 9.12 and wait; no problem.

I just have to say big thanks to you, gbeauche and the folks at AMD for helping us with libamdxvba!

Comment

• Alright, I tried Cat 10.1 with libamdxvba1 on Ubuntu 9.04 with an HD 2600 mobile, and received the error that I posted above.
          I just tested 10.1 with an HD 3300 and an HD 3870 and received the same error messages, but this time with Debian lenny. I'll try with Debian Testing next.

Comment

• Err, sorry the "nvidia" script can be used to test mplayer vaapi with NVIDIA, for ATI you need this one - the nvidia script does nothing with ati cards

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineGrace View Post
              I'll try running your script on Debian squeeze and see how that works. If not, I will just revert to 9.10 or 9.12 and wait; no problem.
              I'm on squeeze with 2.6.32-trunk-amd64, 10.1 and all the latest VAAPI stuff, and it works. I did not install the latest X server update though, since I heard it would break everything because fglrx doesn't support that version yet.

Oh, and I installed it all manually.

Comment

• Originally posted by RemcoL View Post
                I'm on squeeze with 2.6.32-trunk-amd64, 10.1 and all the latest VAAPI stuff, and it works. I did not install the latest X server update though, since I heard it would break everything because fglrx doesn't support that version yet.

Oh, and I installed it all manually.
                What video card are you using?
                I tried the exact same procedure as you but could not make this work on my notebook with an HD 2600, running Debian squeeze.

Comment

• If

Code:
                  X -version
                  shows 1.7.x go shopping or change distro.

Comment

• i installed catalyst 10.1 on Ubuntu 9.10
                    download libva libva-dev xvba-video packages from http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/ and install it.
                    then download mplayer-vaapi-latest.tar.bz2 too.
                    apt-get buil-dep mplayer
                    ./checkout-patch-build.sh
                    script successfully download and compiled whle mplayer.
                    when i try play file ./mplayer some-file.mp4 it work.
                    when i try run ./mplayer -vo vaapi -va vaapi some-file.mp4 i get this

CPU usage is 0-1% so acceleration work
                    add -vo vaapi:gl[:reflect] is same.

using only -vo vaapi withou -va vaapi lead to normal output only colors is switched. people have blue faces. and CPU usage is 20-30%

using only -va vaapi is normal but CPU is still 20-30%

Comment

• Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                      when i try run ./mplayer -vo vaapi -va vaapi some-file.mp4 i get this

CPU usage is 0-1% so acceleration work
                      Hey that's good news! This means I'm not the only one with this issue My video's look exactly the same with this vaapi stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X