AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
    Try full BR video, better something VC-1.
    If your system can handle it, then we have very good news
    I'd love to but I have no BluRay clips or discs here. Any (legal ) links? I'm searching as we speak, but if you know of any I'd love to give it a shot.

Cheers,
    Jesse

Comment

As UVD provides full bitstream acceleration you should never see high CPU load.

@Qaridarium
      The open source approach will probably not use the video decoding hardware, but shaders, and this won't be as efficient as bitstream-level acceleration -- not all decoding steps can be offloaded to hardware this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        But the HD3XXX Generation has UVD and as an big fan of ATI i'm feeling betrayed
        I was in the same boat with my old Geforce 8800GTS G80 not supporting VDPAU.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
          From what I know there were major internal architectural changes between UVD -> UVD2, which made it a lot easier to port (code wise, and hardware wise)

Comment

And HD3xxx???????

But the HD3XXX Generation has UVD and as an big fan of ATI i'm feeling betrayed
            Yeah. Me, as a owner of a HD3650, I feel betrayed/dumped. Are UVD1 or UVD+ so different from the UVD2 that a unified or parallel driver is too much effort to implement?

R63x is not that old!!! They're very similar to R700... why in the world are they loosing feature support?
            So disappointed

If they hope me upgrading to R4xxx or 5xxx, well, this time I'm giving my money to nVidia. Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
              Yeah. Me, as a owner of a HD3650, I feel betrayed/dumped. Are UVD1 or UVD+ so different from the UVD2 that a unified or parallel driver is too much effort to implement?

R63x is not that old!!! They're very similar to R700... why in the world are they loosing feature support?
              So disappointed

If they hope me upgrading to R4xxx or 5xxx, well, this time I'm giving my money to nVidia. Sorry
              Actually.....the 7xx was very very different compared to the 6xx asics.

The major difference between uvd, and uvd2 is the mpeg decode part.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                Yeah but depending on the revison of your 8800GTS (G80) there has never been any hardware HD video decoding on this Nvidia Chip.

Thats the diffrence to the bullshxx Ati does with the release of a very limited decoding api, because there are many of Ati cards who are capable to do most h.264 vc1 decoding in hardware but are currently unsupported under Linux, while nvidia supports all purevideo2 and up devices under Linux

Gr??e

Comment

Originally posted by avsa242 View Post
                  I'd love to but I have no BluRay clips or discs here. Any (legal ) links? I'm searching as we speak, but if you know of any I'd love to give it a shot.

Cheers,
                  Jesse
                  Video:  VC-1 @ ~20mbps playback Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3 or Media Player Classic with Windows Media format 11 installed (VC-1 included i think

The first legal I found
                  There is some problem with "'Legal"
                  I can't legally share with you my legal disc
                  I'm not even sure that the copy of my BD on my HDD (44GB) is legal

Forget the link, it's not "heavy" enough
                  Last edited by n0nsense; 03 November 2009, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    only UVD2 has hardware HDCP Copyprotektion.. if they give some infos abaut uvd1 some people can hack the DRM Copyprotektion and the hd2000 VGA carts lost there Blueray hdready logo/funktionality..
                    Hey dont give us the infos for UVD2 the Blob work with UVD2 but it has no reasson why not on UVD

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    the opensource driver will have viedeo acceleration for older cards!

realy ;-)
                    When? what you mean with "older" cards? r300 up to r500?
                    Last edited by Nille; 03 November 2009, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Hey dont give us the infos for UVD2 the Blob work with UVD2 but it has no reasson why not on UVD

When? what you with "older" cards? r300 up to r500?

Maybe the radeon driver can utilize openCL for that task when its finally ported to gallium, but annyway that wouldnt be as fast as UVD and of course iam just guesing if this is really possible.

But ok at least ATI released the specs for an oss driver which is more worth then some hd decoding which is something a modern cpu can do too.

Comment

Working...
                      X