No announcement yet.

AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It sounds like the xvba library in catalyst was just updated and no longer supports your hardware correctly. I don't think AMD ever said it was supported, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they just broke it.
    Yes, it might be the situation, but unfortunately the same problem is happening for me in Windows 7. With the drivers provided by ATI to Microsoft, (provided in Windows 7 Install CD) I had videos decoding in H264 and VC-1 formats with a relatively low CPU usage (+/- 20%).

Now, with Catalyst 10.10 (and their VC-1 codec installed), my H264 and VC-1 encoded videos are using about 40%/50% of my CPU almost all time...

Cheers

p.s. (being a bit off-topic): Another problem I've found in Catalyst for Linux (since Cat.10.7) is the fact my Mobility Radeon HD2600 isn't loading PPLIB properly... But that's a minor problem for me compared to have H264 video decoding by hardware...

Comment

• Well, eventually, i chose to compiled mplayer with ffmpeg-mt. Runs flawlessly now with gl2 driver .

Comment

• To mr.gbeauche:

I've just upgraded my xvba-video to your new "final" 0.7.6 version (4th November 2010)... With Catalyst 10.10 + xorg server 1.9.2, I saw some "significant" improvements compared to last xvba-video versions + Catalyst beyond 10.7 when playing H264 videos (they're not garbled anymore at least... , but still, they are playing too much slow in my HD2600 mobility card).

Your new xvba-video version works well with xorg-server 1.8.2 + Catalyst 10.7

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by evolution View Post
          I've just upgraded my xvba-video to your new "final" 0.7.6 version (4th November 2010)... With Catalyst 10.10 + xorg server 1.9.2, I saw some "significant" improvements compared to last xvba-video versions + Catalyst beyond 10.7 when playing H264 videos (they're not garbled anymore at least... ,
          This is strange, there were no further changes that could affect you between 0.7.6.pre3 and 0.7.6. i.e. nothing that is enabled by default.

Comment

• To gbeauche:

Yes, this is a bit strange... Btw, I'll wait for next Catalyst releases, it might be possible they fix the H264 XvBA decoding on Linux (again)...
            Right now, I'll stick with Xorg 1.8.2 + Catalyst 10.7 until the problem is solved (will it be solved? IdK!)... (Arch Linux still have Xorg 1.8 repos avaiable )

p.s.: If you need an extra volunteer to test XvBA video decoding, right now I've 3 Radeon HD series cards in my computers (a HD2600 in my personal laptop (which I'm using most of the time), a HD4650 in my personal desktop (AGP) and a HD3650 in my work laptop).

Cheers

Comment

• I'm using Debian Squeeze, installed the fglrx-driver from the repos, manually installed xvba-video from gbeauche's repo, install libva but still no hardware acceleration, a 1080p causes the cpu to jump to 65-70% of usage (Windows 7 on the same machine, is 15-20%). I've also installed mplayer and ffmpeg from debian-multimedia, but to no avail. My card is a Mobility Radeeon 540v, linux catalyst recognizes as 4500 series. Any help?

Comment

• You need mplayer with vaapi patches, no normal mplayer.

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                  This is strange, there were no further changes that could affect you between 0.7.6.pre3 and 0.7.6. i.e. nothing that is enabled by default.
                  I've tested the newest xvba-video_0.7.6-1-amd64 on my usual hardware, and can report success with all three! Thank you!

Comment

• Hi. I'm having trouble with aceleration, with 720 and 1080 videos.
                    This has been happening with every catalyst version I tested so far (everyone since february).
                    To start mplayer I'm using "mplayer -vo vaapi:gl -va vaapi"

Here a screenshot:

My system:
                    Arch x86_64
                    Catalyst 10.11
                    mplayer-vaapi 32669
                    xvba-video 0.7.6

Here's log from mplayer,

Code:
                    Warning unknown option device at line 5
                    MPlayer SVN-r32669-4.5.1 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
                    161 audio & 345 video codecs
                    mplayer: could not connect to socket
                    mplayer: No such file or directory
                    Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing series/the walking dead/The.Walking.Dead.S01E01.Days.Gone.Bye.720p.HDTV.x264-CTU.mkv.
                    libavformat file format detected.
                    [matroska,webm @ 0x2dd0570] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
                    [lavf] stream 0: audio (ac3), -aid 0
                    [lavf] stream 1: video (h264), -vid 0
                    VIDEO:  [H264]  1280x720  0bpp  24.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
                    SUB: Added subtitle file (1): series/the walking dead/The.Walking.Dead.S01E01.Days.Gone.Bye.720p.HDTV.x264-CTU.srt
                    [vo_vaapi] Using OpenGL rendering
                    libva: libva version 0.31.1
                    Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
                    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
                    libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
                    ==========================================================================
                    Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
                    [VD_FFMPEG] VA API accelerated codec.
                    Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
                    Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
                    AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 384.0 kbit/25.00% (ratio: 48000->192000)
                    Selected audio codec: [ffac3] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AC-3)
                    AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
                    Starting playback...
                    Unsupported PixelFormat 61
                    [VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=1.
                    Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
                    VO: [vaapi] 1280x720 => 1280x720 H.264 VA-API Acceleration 
                    [VD_FFMPEG] XVMC-accelerated MPEG-2.
                    vainfo
                    Code:
                    libva: libva version 0.31.1
                    Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
                    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
                    libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
                    vainfo: VA API version: 0.31
                    vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.6
                    vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
                          VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointIDCT
                          VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointIDCT
                          VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
                          VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
                    I also tried with a VC-1 video, but the output is as corrupted as with x264.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Comment

• Forgot to mention my video card :P HD5850

Comment

Working...
                      X