No announcement yet.

Stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

via is not really a valid choice. intel only is when you want to test hyperspace or with vt capable cpu even hyperspace hybrid. otherwise i would definitely get a dedicated nvidia gfx chip.

Comment

Originally posted by hotsouce View Post
      well... How looks compiz and ordinary working like web browsing with intel.Are any problems?. I have to make decision about buying or not notebook with intel card.
      It's not a laptop, but I do have a X4500HD and it's working very well. There shouldn't be any problems at all with web browsing, movies, compiz etc.

There are however at least two caveats:
      - Gaming, anything up to and including Doom 3 should be okay, but support for Wine with Mesa just isn't that good.
      - Hardware acceleration for video decoding is missing. It's apparently being worked on though.

Comment

OK, i understood. Thanks for ALL.
        Last edited by hotsouce; 04 November 2009, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
          It's not a laptop, but I do have a X4500HD and it's working very well. There shouldn't be any problems at all with web browsing, movies, compiz etc.

- Gaming, anything up to and including Doom 3 should be okay, but support for Wine with Mesa just isn't that good.
          - Hardware acceleration for video decoding is missing. It's apparently being worked on though.
          Any idea when we should see hardware acceleration for H264 and VC1 ? Is it a matter of months or more ?
          I'm a little disappointed that Poulsbo chipset have hardware acceleration fo video decoding available right now although the driver is closed source, whereas GM45 chipset is fully open source with all the documentation necessary and it is still not available (just MPEG2 which I really don't need).

Comment

I've found a lot more 3D problems than just wine games with the X4500 when using the drivers included with Ubuntu 9.10, like how Yo Frankie! crashes when shaders are enabled, Sauerbraten can only display the menu and the 3D scenes in On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness are entirely black (it seems to me that in the latter two cases, the scene isn't being cleared, and nothing 3D is being drawn. Both of these games were fine on Ubuntu 9.04 using the Xorg-edgers packages from September or so).

Comment

I see that it isn't perfect. Now i'm working on Ubuntu 9.10 i very fresh realase maybe in near future this bugs will be remove.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos386 View Post
                I've found a lot more 3D problems than just wine games with the X4500 when using the drivers included with Ubuntu 9.10, like how Yo Frankie! crashes when shaders are enabled, Sauerbraten can only display the menu and the 3D scenes in On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness are entirely black (it seems to me that in the latter two cases, the scene isn't being cleared, and nothing 3D is being drawn. Both of these games were fine on Ubuntu 9.04 using the Xorg-edgers packages from September or so).
                Yo Frankie is a known problem with Mesa, file bugs for the rest of them. git-bisect is both easy and simple to use

Comment

Originally posted by beecher View Post
                  Any idea when we should see hardware acceleration for H264 and VC1 ? Is it a matter of months or more ?
                  I'm a little disappointed that Poulsbo chipset have hardware acceleration fo video decoding available right now although the driver is closed source, whereas GM45 chipset is fully open source with all the documentation necessary and it is still not available (just MPEG2 which I really don't need).
                  No idea, I would also very much want to know what the plans are.

At least from looking at the Windows side, this chip really seems to be targeted at video decoding, so it's a bit surprising that it's taken so long.

Comment

The only info I found is on the Intel-gfx mailing list:
                    From: intel-gfx-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org [mailto:intel-gfx-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org] On Behalf Of scorephile
                    Sent: 2009年8月4日 23:25
                    To: intel-gfx at lists.freedesktop.org
                    Subject: [Intel-gfx] VAAPI mpeg2 decode support for G45 and GM45 chip

Hi,

Do you plan to support H264 and VC1 decoding anytime soon on GM45?

Thanks.

Yes, we do have plan for that.

Thanks
                    Zou Nan hai
                    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...st/003721.html

This was in August.

Comment

Yo Frankie is a known problem with Mesa, file bugs for the rest of them. git-bisect is both easy and simple to use
                      Are something easier methods than git-bitsec to eliminate this bugs?

Comment

Working...
                      X