Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel's Special Driver For Poulsbo Uses Gallium3D
    ...the video content shown in the videos were running with 1080i, due to the lack of 1080p content and testing.
    I'm really disappointed in them here- this is a solved problem. Why didn't they do what every other company/individual who needs to demo HD content on their device/whatever do: Show the Big Buck Bunny movie. Sure, at this point, folks may have seen it a lot, but it fits the bill perfectly- it's completely free for any use, and has the original frames available for download & re-rendering if you need a different resolution than the ones currently available.

It's no Planet Earth torture clip, but then so few are.

Comment

There already *is* a working driver available since month

Yes, it's closed, too, but it works quite well.

Comment

Not much news...

This isn't much different from the existing situation. The current driver's X.org and kernel module components are open source, the closed source bits are the Mesa DRI driver and the VAAPI video playback acceleration widget. So basic 2D operation is open source, 3D and video playback acceleration are closed. Sounds much like this 'new' driver, in other words, they're just moving to some spiffy new technologies. (Which they'll probably implement just as badly as they implemented the old ones in the existing fricking driver).

Personally I care far less about spiffy new technologies than about them damn well open sourcing the code like they said they were going to for all their graphics hardware, years ago.

Oh well, at least if the new driver supports X.org server 1.7 it'll work on Fedora 12. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by zapp42 View Post
          http://edc.intel.com/Software/Downloads/IEGD/#overview

Yes, it's closed, too, but it works quite well.
          That's more or less the same code as the psb driver you can get out of Ubuntu repositories, that is packaged for Fedora and Mandriva. It doesn't have any features beyond that implementation of the driver, the difference is primarily the delivery method. The IEGD driver is a pain to work with from a packaging perspective, given that it lives inside a Windows installer inside a 100+MB zip file behind an authentication wall.

The new IEGD version which is dated October 1st may have somewhat later code than the last psb version sent to Ubuntu repos (which was last touched in June), but I haven't had time to poke it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
            That's more or less the same code as the psb driver you can get out of Ubuntu repositories, that is packaged for Fedora and Mandriva. It doesn't have any features beyond that implementation of the driver, the difference is primarily the delivery method. The IEGD driver is a pain to work with from a packaging perspective, given that it lives inside a Windows installer inside a 100+MB zip file behind an authentication wall.

The new IEGD version which is dated October 1st may have somewhat later code than the last psb version sent to Ubuntu repos (which was last touched in June), but I haven't had time to poke it yet.
            Adam, this is not the same driver. Those are different branches and even different teams.

Comment

gwenole: ah, really? thanks for the correction. I think I'm still correct that the feature support is the same between the two, though.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                gwenole: ah, really? thanks for the correction. I think I'm still correct that the feature support is the same between the two, though.
                The main difference is IEGD is the officially maintained driver and problems will be escalated to engineering the usual way through Intel Premier Support. Now features-wise, well that's different too. e.g. IEGD does not require any special libdrm installation.

Comment

Working...
                X