Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel's Special Driver For Poulsbo Uses Gallium3D

Hybrid View

Default Intel's Special Driver For Poulsbo Uses Gallium3D

Phoronix: Intel's Special Driver For Poulsbo Uses Gallium3D

Yesterday afternoon we ran a story on a new Linux driver for the Intel Poulsbo chipset, which right now is known for being notorious with its troubling Linux support. However, Intel apparently had been working on a new "special driver" that the Linux Foundation was showing off recently in Munich at a mobile development camp...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzY2Mg

bam! that's very interesting. and it's funny to see that they use TTM instead of GEM.

it's an interesting mix of closed and open source software. too bad that it can't be 100% open source.

Default SoC support

If this works with Sodaville, does this mean it'll work for Sodaville's predecessor, Canmore? Canmore also has a Poulsbo integrated in the SoC.

That would have been excellent news if the Gallium3D driver wouldn't be closed source. But it's still better than a fully closed source stack.

I'm just happy if I finally have a working driver!!!

The netbook they used looked like an MSI U110, which currently does not work at all with Linux poulsbo drivers as far as I've tried it...

Wait. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the new driver uses Gallium3D, that would mean all calls from the closed driver will pass through the open Gallium3D layer...

So doesn't that mean that it would be quite easy to trace exactly what the closed source driver is doing and then create an open source driver that does the same?

Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazade View Post
    Wait. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the new driver uses Gallium3D, that would mean all calls from the closed driver will pass through the open Gallium3D layer...

So doesn't that mean that it would be quite easy to trace exactly what the closed source driver is doing and then create an open source driver that does the same?

Luke.
    I think that's the idea. PowerVR are being jerks, so Intel have given them what they want in a way that completely undermines them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant P. View Post
    I think that's the idea. PowerVR are being jerks, so Intel have given them what they want in a way that completely undermines them.
    I'd concur...but don't make the rumblings of that TOO loud.

If something does come of it, it'd be nice to have FOSS drivers for the OMAP3...

The new DRM code, which the developers will be working on merging upstream soon (after a failed attempt with their older code),
    I just hope it will not be accepted ... VIA tried the same and it wasn't accepted or was it in the end ?

Anyway a year ago I said somewhere on those forums that intel is the number one as far as open drivers go and AMD/ATI is second (and nvidia non existant ) Right now though AMD/ATI is IMHO the number one. The poulsbo mess moves intel to a second place.

this news about blob-thing sucking from "new api for easy and simple driver implementation" is a very very disturbing.

bad tendency.

even whole "GEM except TTM, UXA instead EXA, overcomplicated stuff over 'modesetting_drv'\Gallium" wasn't cheering at all...