Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is An Open-Source Poulsbo Driver Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is An Open-Source Poulsbo Driver Coming?

Phoronix: Is An Open-Source Poulsbo Driver Coming?

Intel's Poulsbo Linux driver is a bloody mess. The Poulsbo chipset is known commercially as the GMA 500 that's found in many netbooks as of late, but it isn't actually an Intel design but the graphics processor design was licensed from PowerVR...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

just as i already pointed it out in another tread (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...0829#post80829).
    very nice, anyway

Comment

In both videos no word was said about open source drivers. They only mentioned vlc and mplayer, but of course not the default versions but with extra vaapi patch. This is also not new - the needed driver was available for U 9.04 as ppa too. If you have got such a device try one of my mplayer vaapi scripts:

And be sure that the needed file is at the right position - vainfo will work then too. Thats what i would have executed first on such a thing. Normal search path is

libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/<drivername>_drv_video.so

The script works with nvidia cards too, using a vdpau video wrapper to test the used mplayer with vaapi backend.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel G4x/Q45 chips work too, but only for mpeg2 - there you need a new intel driver, maybe use karmic, for nvidia thats not required.

Comment

I'd very much hope that there will be a free-as-in-freedom driver, or a specs release. PowerVR also has some other chips that I'd really like to see running on free software. The chips aren't bad, low power consumption but should be powerful in most areas. They also come with certain ARM-chip-Boards (like the Beagle Board).
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          I'd very much hope that there will be a free-as-in-freedom driver, or a specs release. PowerVR also has some other chips that I'd really like to see running on free software. The chips aren't bad, low power consumption but should be powerful in most areas. They also come with certain ARM-chip-Boards (like the Beagle Board).
          I'd like to see that sort of thing for the same reasons you give- but Imagination is of the thinking that the chip's info is part of the "secret sauce" for the same and must be protected at all costs. If there's a specs release or a FOSS driver, it would be a shift with tectonic force on their part.

Comment

Is there a reason no-one has started a project to do clean-room reverse engineering of this driver in the same way as Noveau for NVIDIA or the various clean-room WiFi chipset drivers?

Comment

Open Arena (Q3A engine) runs around 30 fps on the GMA 950 at 800x600. The 3D portion of the GMA 500 hardware isn't much different, so I have a hard time believing they're actually running Q3A at 1920x1080 (which is more than 4 times the number of pixels).

Comment

Originally posted by jonwil View Post
                Is there a reason no-one has started a project to do clean-room reverse engineering of this driver in the same way as Noveau for NVIDIA or the various clean-room WiFi chipset drivers?
                There's only so many developers interested in X.Org / Mesa...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                X