Our Linux Graphics Survey Is Off With A Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    true, but last time I checked, they're still widely available (compared to 4:3).
    Yeah, and 16:10 less widely than 16:9

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
      Yeah, and 16:10 less widely than 16:9

very true

nearly all new desktop monitors are 1920x1080, even cheap notebooks and new super netbooks (11.5") are 1366x768. The choices are reducing.

It would appear that the manufacturers have decided that it is cheaper to stick with one aspect ratio and fewer options. It undoubtedly also means economies of scale with TV panels.

On a plus note my new 24" Viewsonic 1920x1080 cost a lot less than my 22" 1680x1050 monitor, which is only one year old, and now graces my daughters computer.

Comment

I was the one that posted the suggestion for the resolution.

Think not about the actual resolution, but about the range. The intent of the question was to allow people to indicate the sizing of monitor that is used, not the resolution. The fact that I started with 4:3 resolutions as boundaries is completely irrelevant.

I could have just talked about "megapixels" and given a range there.

The idea is to allow Michael to ensure that particular attention is made to the resolutions that are common. But I am expecting bi-modal results with a bump at 1600x1200 (ish) and then a 2560-ish resolution.

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
          The idea is to allow Michael to ensure that particular attention is made to the resolutions that are common. But I am expecting bi-modal results with a bump at 1600x1200 (ish) and then a 2560-ish resolution.
          For the love of $DEITY, stop. Really, just.. don't. I f**in' hate when an app/website reads a >monitor resolution< and adjust itself to that, completely ignoring that
          • I may have a non-hiding taskbar on the side
          • the browser has panels on one side and tabs on the other
          • The app is just not running maximized
          What you want to know is the window size and proportions. I'd be a lot happier if more apps properly auto-adjusted when the resolution is changed or a new monitor is added - how many times have I seen an app that pops up its tooltips/dialogs on the primary monitor regardless of where its window actually is?

What I'd like even more is for multi-configruable-toolbars type of apps (Opera, various IDEs, office suites) to be able to hold different settings for landscape and portrait mode, then switch between them as the monitor is rotated.

On the unrelated note of 16:9 vs. 16:10 - I'm apparently a single user sticking out of the average, but I want 16:10 exactly because I watch movies. Who in their right mind wants the movie to take up the whole screen, then have it covered by player controls/subtitles? We don't all watch movies in our native language, you know.

Comment

Is there a way we can see live survey responses?

Anonymous read only access to the mysql server perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
              Is there a way we can see live survey responses?

Anonymous read only access to the mysql server perhaps?
              Nope, no live results.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by myxal View Post
                For the love of $DEITY, stop. Really, just.. don't. I f**in' hate when an app/website reads a >monitor resolution< and adjust itself to that, completely ignoring that
                • I may have a non-hiding taskbar on the side
                • the browser has panels on one side and tabs on the other
                • The app is just not running maximized
                What you want to know is the window size and proportions. I'd be a lot happier if more apps properly auto-adjusted when the resolution is changed or a new monitor is added - how many times have I seen an app that pops up its tooltips/dialogs on the primary monitor regardless of where its window actually is?
                This survey is not about the phoronix-website. I doubt that Michael is going to use any of the information gathered in it to redesign it. This is actually pretty obvious because it was actually suggested by mtippet, who'd have zero interest in changing phoronix to adapt it to monitor-resolutions.
                This questions, like the other ones asked in the survey, have the intention to find out the typical linux-users desktop usage, e.g. to help driver developers (like mtippet used to be) to prioritize their work

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                  This survey is not about the phoronix-website. I doubt that Michael is going to use any of the information gathered in it to redesign it. This is actually pretty obvious because it was actually suggested by mtippet, who'd have zero interest in changing phoronix to adapt it to monitor-resolutions.
                  This questions, like the other ones asked in the survey, have the intention to find out the typical linux-users desktop usage, e.g. to help driver developers (like mtippet used to be) to prioritize their work
                  You are correct.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

For dual screen setups, the resolutions listed do not fit at all (should we consider one of the screens only?). A pixelcount/screen measure should be more correct.

Comment

Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
                      For dual screen setups, the resolutions listed do not fit at all (should we consider one of the screens only?). A pixelcount/screen measure should be more correct.
                      Agreed - I have two monitors, different sizes, and it's important for the graphics to work fine across both of them simultaneously - I can't really consider just one of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X