AMD Loses Its Linux Core Engineering Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarthFrog View Post
    I read the review on Phoronix which gave me the impression that it was supported.
    It is supported. The problem is that (a) none of the board vendors included the Linux driver on their CDs, and (b) normally the monthly Catalyst releases are able to act as backup but the HD57xx launch date just missed the Catalyst driver schedule.

We're going to post the launch driver to fill the gap until the next Catalyst release. Not sure about schedule yet but hopefully Real Soon Now.
    Last edited by bridgman; 30 October 2009, 08:16 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

The article is talking about mtippett, not MostAwesomeDude...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        It is supported. The problem is that (a) none of the board vendors included the Linux driver on their CDs, and (b) normally the monthly Catalyst releases are able to act as backup but the HD57xx launch date just missed the Catalyst driver schedule.
        IMO that driver should have been on AMD's site from the beginning. Not doing so while knowing that vendors don't include Linux drivers just shows you don't really care enough.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          IMO that driver should have been on AMD's site from the beginning. Not doing so while knowing that vendors don't include Linux drivers just shows you don't really care enough.
          I'm tempted to agree with you but I don't. I didn't know what same-day drivers meant until mtippet explained it in this thread. ATI presumably cannot dictate to the manufacturers that they include the same day Linux driver on the CD bundled with the card. So I will not fault ATI for that. And now that they know that the drivers for the 57xx aren't there for end-users, their response being to put the driver that should have come with the card up for download is praiseworthy.

However, I will say that I personally want Real Soon Now to be RFN! :-)

--
          Cheers,
          Rob

Comment

[QUOTE=Qaridarium;97898]Mtippett works for money... MostAwesomeDude for Honor and Glory !
            /QUOTE]
            Everyone works for money, mtippett helped with ati's situation on linux.

Wouldn't you like it if MostAwesomeDude got paid for working on the open-source drivers?

Comment

Thanks

One of the joys of Phoronix is reading posts by knowledgeable, intellegent, and witty people. Almost all of the people working on AMD drivers fit this description. I was going to praise mtippett in another thread, but now seems to be an excellent time. Thank you, Matthew, for your work on the drivers and for taking some time to explain the technology to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                Yeah, except that right now fglrx is considerably further along that it's foss counterpart.
                But fglrx is buggy and unmaintainable.

Comment

Originally posted by BhaKi View Post
                  But fglrx is buggy and unmaintainable.
                  And that statement is based upon....?

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                    And that statement is based upon....?
                    ... the assumption that it instantly reveals your Linux expert status once you mention
                    somewhere on the net how awfully flawed fglrx has been, still is and will always be.

At least that's the impression I got over the last years.

Comment

Thanks, Matthew, for all the hard work you've put into the drivers at AMD. Hope your new job goes well for you- definitely a different mountain to climb, I'd say.

Comment

Working...
                      X