Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Officially Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Officially Released

Just as planned, Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" has been officially released this morning. Additionally, 9.10 Karmic releases of Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Mythbuntu, and Ubuntu Studio are also available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm downloading the Kubuntu amd64 torrent right now and will give it a try with kvm and/or live. If it's solid I might give it to a friend who's lately become interested in Linux after seeing KDE.

Comment

Currently doing a network update of my personal webserver/subversion repository box, and simultaneously downloading a copy of the x64 ISO for later use. If my mythbox were responding to ssh connection requests right now, I'd be tunneling through to my desktop to try that too.

Oh well. I guess it's probably for the best that I can't do them all at once, just in case something breaks

Here's hoping that the r600 3D is easier to keep updated, (using xorg-edgers instead of hand-compiling my kernels).

Comment

What is missing in Karmic for 3D (on r600)? DRM too old? Mesa too old? Radeon too old?
        I'd like to fix that, because i was quite happy with 3d on Jaunty...

Comment

Woo hoo!

Congrats to everyone involved (Ubuntu, Debian, Gnome, KDE, Linux, ...). I have been using it for a few weeks now and really like it. Boot up performance aside, the desktop experience is a lot snappier.

There are still a few rough edges (such as DVD/CD tray eject not working), but overall well done. These should be ironed out in a while, though.

Looking forward to Lucid (and hoping that it takes advantage of CUSE/OSSP support in recent kernels to offer a better experience with OSS-based applications).

Comment

Originally posted by Boerkel View Post
            What is missing in Karmic for 3D (on r600)? DRM too old? Mesa too old? Radeon too old?
            I'd like to fix that, because i was quite happy with 3d on Jaunty...
            For me, totally upgraded from xorg-edgers it is just to add 2.6.32 kernel from, for example http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...daily/current/ ...

Comment

I was planning on just using xorg-edgers (for libdrm/xorg-driver-ati/mesa) and their drm-snapshot kernel from now on. I believe that should be sufficient, but I haven't tried it yet.

From what I believe I've read, the stock Karmic kernel doesn't have the DRM bits for r600, and as a result drm/mesa/xorg-driver don't have support for it. But given the xorg-edgers PPA, it should be really easy to get everything working (I had been using this PPA in Jaunty with a hand-compiled kernel from Linus' linux-2.6 tree).

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                I was planning on just using xorg-edgers (for libdrm/xorg-driver-ati/mesa) and their drm-snapshot kernel from now on. I believe that should be sufficient, but I haven't tried it yet.

From what I believe I've read, the stock Karmic kernel doesn't have the DRM bits for r600, and as a result drm/mesa/xorg-driver don't have support for it. But given the xorg-edgers PPA, it should be really easy to get everything working (I had been using this PPA in Jaunty with a hand-compiled kernel from Linus' linux-2.6 tree).
                You should use the Kernel 2.6.32 (prereleases) from the Ubuntu Mainline PPA: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

@topic: What a great release! Nice one, devs!

Comment

Originally posted by rhdunn View Post
                  There are still a few rough edges (such as DVD/CD tray eject not working), but overall well done. These should be ironed out in a while, though.
                  It works in KDE. Tested in Kubuntu and Arch Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

No, You need 2.6.32 in order to get 3D. At least on my machine (ATI HD3650)

Comment

Working...
                    X