Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HD 5750 + 3 monitors (2 rotated) + compiz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD 5750 + 3 monitors (2 rotated) + compiz?

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying an HD 5750 for use in a Linux system. I would like to use it to power 3 1920x1200 monitors (two of which will be rotated) such that they form one big compiz-enabled desktop. I typically use Nvidia cards with Linux, but in this case, it's completely impossible to achieve this setup so the new ATI card looks very appealing to me. However, after some bad experiences with ATI and Linux in the past, I want to check here that what I want to setup will work with today's drivers.

Does anyone have this card running 3 monitors with compiz enabled?

If not, has anyone have any luck with ATI's cards running multiple monitor setups where some screens are rotated and others are not (with compiz working)?

Also, I've heard that even without rotation and multiple monitors, ATI cards don't work too well with flash? How bad is it? I don't play games, but I do want compiz and flash working.

Thanks so much!

Diffident

Really, no body has anything remotely like this working? Has anyone even tried?

D.

Comment

Originally posted by diffident View Post
      Really, no body has anything remotely like this working? Has anyone even tried?

D.
      Flash + Compiz works on par with nvidia drivers (in other words, pretty badly).

Two monitors work great on fglrx, but I haven't tried three monitors at the same time (I don't have three monitors, neither do I have a card that supports this). I haven't tested rotated screens at all, so I can't help you there.

There are some well known issues with fglrx/compiz that you'll encounter, but will hopefully be resolved soon now (judging from some hints from Michael):
      - compiz blur does not work (the code for the blur plugin is so shitty that I can't tell whether this is a driver or a compiz bug).
      - compiz means no vsync at all on fglrx, either on videos or otherwise. I'm told this is being worked on, but I don't know when we'll see a fix.
      - sleep/hibernation is unstable when compiz is enabled and may cause lock ups.
      - if you minimize a window and try to restore it, you will notice a short - but extremely annoying - hesitation. There's an Xorg patch that solves this issue (there are prebuilt packages for ubuntu and arch last time I checked).

3d support is very good and fast with the latest drivers. 2d is a little slower but 100% usable. Videos/XV works fine, but there's no decode acceleration for HD formats (this will probably be fixed really soon now (tm)). OpenCL works great with Ati Stream (much better than on windows, in fact).

That's it more or less. If there's someone using 3 monitors with fglrx, please post!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        OpenCL works great with Ati Stream (much better than on windows, in fact).
        Where have you got this information from?
        To be clear: I'm not trying to say I don't believe you, I'm just interested in the state of OpenCL on linux and especially on ATi-cards and would like to find out more.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
          Where have you got this information from?
          To be clear: I'm not trying to say I don't believe you, I'm just interested in the state of OpenCL on linux and especially on ATi-cards and would like to find out more.
          By writing OpenCL programs, where else?

Their windows implementation has several issues with name mangling and unnecessary dll dependencies (beta1 - beta4 are all broken in some way). The linux implementation has worked more or less correctly from the get go.

I've been mostly testing the CPU implementation, while waiting for non-beta GPU drivers that support OpenCL (both from Ati and Nvidia).

Comment

Thanks for you response. Glad to hear compiz works more or less. Rotation is what worries me the most. Last time I used ATI I had no luck getting X to start up without corruption when rotation was enabled.

Comment

keep in mind that one of the monitors has to be attached to the DisplayPort output. Of the two DVI and one HDMI outputs, only two can be used at the same time.

can't help you otherwise, I'm waiting for the OS drivers before buying my 57xx

Comment

Current Catalyst 9.10 drivers neither support Eyefinity nor the 57xx cards. Apparently the beta drivers which shipped with Ubuntu Karmic, as well as the beta OpenCL drivers, at least support the 57xx.

Comment

Working...
                X