very dissapointed with Karmic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very dissapointed with Karmic...

Sorry for that, but I'm very disappointed with the new Karmic. I'm trying the RC with the updates until now, so my disappoints should be corrects. First of all, the "ubuntu software center" is a complete disaster. Now you can't view the "most downloaded" applications, and for see the description of programs you have to click twice, and to go back one click more.

Secondly, pulseaudio. I have never had problems with my audio in Linux... until now. The quality of the sound in Karmic is horrific. I have tried to uninstall it, but this should'nt be the solution.

Next complain is about graphic driver... yes, I know that this is not a problem from Canonical, but from ATI. I bought an Ati 5850 two weeks ago, and this cards is supposed to be a very powerful card. I'm sad to say that my old NVIDIA 6800gt can manage compiz with no problems, but my new card with catalyst 9.10.... has horrific tearing, horrific lagging minimizing and maximizing windows, slow responsiveness moving windows... and the open driver can't set the correct resolution or activate my second display...

I'm trying to say that maybe that in my opinion, Ubuntu should break the 6 months cycle and finish the product when is finally finished, not before, like Opensuse or Debian.

This is the first time that I'm very disappointed with an Ubuntu release. By now, I'll only try Ubuntu from a Virtualbox.... in Windows. Maybe in a couple of months, when Ubuntu will be more polished, I'll try again, and maybe my opinion will change.

Cheers

im sorry about your experiences with karmic. However running it ontop of windows is hardly the answer. If you are happy with 9.04, keep it for a year. or better yet switch distros.

Secondly. No ATI card is "powerful" under linux. You either get the relatively stable open source driver or the binary which causes said problems.

Comment

@salva84

there is no open driver for hd 5 series yet, what you used was vesa. video tearing with xv is really extreme with fglrx, better force opengl vsync and use opengl output. thats the only way you can solve this.

Comment

Originally posted by salva84 View Post
        Sorry for that, but I'm very disappointed with the new Karmic. I'm trying the RC with the updates until now, so my disappoints should be corrects. First of all, the "ubuntu software center" is a complete disaster. Now you can't view the "most downloaded" applications, and for see the description of programs you have to click twice, and to go back one click more.
        Do you expect they'll wait for release till this thing will be useful? :>

Secondly, pulseaudio. I have never had problems with my audio in Linux... until now. The quality of the sound in Karmic is horrific. I have tried to uninstall it, but this should'nt be the solution.
        Try Kubuntu, there's no pulse audio.

Next complain is about graphic driver... yes, I know that this is not a problem from Canonical, but from ATI. I bought an Ati 5850 two weeks ago, and this cards is supposed to be a very powerful card. I'm sad to say that my old NVIDIA 6800gt can manage compiz with no problems, but my new card with catalyst 9.10.... has horrific tearing, horrific lagging minimizing and maximizing windows, slow responsiveness moving windows... and the open driver can't set the correct resolution or activate my second display...
        So this problem youl'll have with any other Linux distribution 'thanks' to fglrx.

I'm trying to say that maybe that in my opinion, Ubuntu should break the 6 months cycle and finish the product when is finally finished, not before, like Opensuse or Debian.
        What for? They probably won't drop pulse audio, people which don't use fglrx don't have such problems you described when comes to graphic, who cares about this ubuntu software center? :P Do you want them to wait for release due to such stupid things which don't affect many other users?

Comment

Working...
        X