Running Ubuntu 9.10 With Older PC Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tormod View Post
    Truth is that Ubuntu 9.10 has pretty much the same Xorg stack as in Debian sid, so please keep us posted about your findings.
    Wrong! I can boot sidux and after enabling 'linux-firmware' I was able to enable desktop effects and although things were slow, the OS was usable. Same hardware, different distro.

My findings is that Ubuntu wants to become the next Microsoft!

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      Wrong! I can boot sidux and after enabling 'linux-firmware' I was able to enable desktop effects and although things were slow, the OS was usable. Same hardware, different distro.

Slow and useable? Maybe you would get the same effect in Ubuntu by disabling DRI. Please compare the two Xorg logs too see what is different in sidux.

See also Ubuntu bug #1

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        Ubuntu wants to out-mac the Mac, but instead is turning into a giant elephant.

But except for the speed panelty (which will improve BTW), that's exactly what I want.

Linux != Ubuntu, Ubuntu = Linux

So if you hate all the automation, go with Gentoo or (B)LFS or something... oh wait.*

*yeaaaaaaaaaah SuSE, Mandriva, Joe Sixpack's uber 1337 pr0n pwn3R3r l33t St4R TraxXx LinuX0rs, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          What about nVidia binaries? Don't even get me started on their silicon failure rate (which is probably also linked to why they are not going FLOSS)

*sigh* <- that's all I can currently say about it

My advice to you is to 'sit it out' and buy a cheap ass ATI card when ou know the Gallium3D drivers are solid
          Interesting theory... about nvidia silicon, you are probably right.

I love ATI hardware, I think it's well developed on the silicon level. My (today) dream machine would be an AMD K8 with an ATI RS690 because it THE most stable hardware out there...

K8 has survived many revision making it more or less "bug free" and RS690 it's targeted to the embedded market now, that mean long time suport... on the silicon, their drivers have spired some months ago.

In the future I won't buy any Core iX or nvidia hardware. nvidia is crappy and buggy, no questions there. In the case of intel, they don't have a good platform aproach... so many chips and chipsets... they are repeating the P4 and RIMM" an endless sockets nightmare once again.

Too bad that ARM platforms are not so "normalized" like in the PC business... ARM CPU are really great. But my problem with ARM lies with PowerVR and it's lack of open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by kuolas View Post
            Interesting theory... about nvidia silicon, you are probably right.
            Graphics card manufacturer has filed a profits warning with the SEC due to "higher than normal" failure rates of certain previous-generation mobile products.

The list goes on and on and on... It basically comes down to this: the problem is still not fixed in their latest GPU's and software hacks are trying to keep the failure rate lower by increasing the time the failure occurs and hopefully comes just at the end of the warrenty.

It's not just the mobile series that are now rot as fsck...

Comment

Working...
            X