Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI R600/700 3D Support In Fedora 12

Hybrid View

Default ATI R600/700 3D Support In Fedora 12

Phoronix: ATI R600/700 3D Support In Fedora 12

Fedora 12 provides "out of the box" support for kernel mode-setting with ATI R600/700 series graphics hardware, but it does not provide 3D acceleration by default. However, Red Hat's X developers have made it very easy to enable this 3D support for the ATI Radeon HD 2000, 3000, and 4000 series hardware by just installing a special Mesa package from yum. In this article we are taking a quick look at where the R600/700 3D support is at in Fedora 12.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14298

Excellent. Also, Catalyst 9.10 finally works on Fedora 11.

Doesnt work well for me .

Made a fresh install of the 64bit beta updated it and installed the experimental package for my 2900pro.

Now it mostly hard locked in gdm or sometimes gives me about 10min before X frezes

The open source radeon driver does not correctly display on Mitsubishi's new line of DLPs. It is horribly overscanned. The TV allows "1080p reduce" but then it's horribly underscanned. On Windows or with the proprietary drivers the image is slightly underscanned (without the 1080p reduce). The Catalyst Control Center then allows correcting for underscan. I have not been able to find any overscan/underscan correction for radeonhd.

Quote Originally Posted by etymxris View Post
    The open source radeon driver does not correctly display on Mitsubishi's new line of DLPs. It is horribly overscanned. The TV allows "1080p reduce" but then it's horribly underscanned. On Windows or with the proprietary drivers the image is slightly underscanned (without the 1080p reduce). The Catalyst Control Center then allows correcting for underscan. I have not been able to find any overscan/underscan correction for radeonhd.
    Typical with DLP's. Might be time to upgrade to LCD.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Typical with DLP's. Might be time to upgrade to LCD.
    I got the DLP because it is 73" (80" is available too). It'll be a while before LCD, LED, or plasma can hit that size at decent prices.

Quote Originally Posted by etymxris View Post
    I got the DLP because it is 73" (80" is available too). It'll be a while before LCD, LED, or plasma can hit that size at decent prices.
    I have the exact same TV you do and have the same problems with overscan/underscan. So far both ATI and Nvidia cards do the same thing on that TV, and I've simply chalked it up to a crappy TV. I've seen a lot of newer TVs which display computer outputs perfectly, both LCD and LED TVs. I'm just waiting until they're low enough in price and big enough then I'll upgrade, but yes it is stupid that these DLP TVs don't display computer output correctly and can function as a big monitor. We usually leave it overscanning unless there's a real reason to see the boarders, and then change it to reduced mode.

First thing I'm doing is bringing a laptop with me for when I make my next TV purchase to make sure this will no longer be an issue.

Default Hanging

There appears to be more than one bug manifesting as the system hanging shortly after login. If pcie_aspm=off as a kernel parameter works around the problem for you, that is indeed:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=517625

if that parameter doesn't seem to have any effect, take a look at:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=531147

or:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=528593

those are the ones I'm currently tracking. 'nomodeset' may suffice as a workaround, try that.

Default Radeon X800?

I'd like to know whether my Power Mac G5's Radeon x800 will be working under Fedora 12? It wasn't with 11.

Quote Originally Posted by ewood View Post
    I'd like to know whether my Power Mac G5's Radeon x800 will be working under Fedora 12? It wasn't with 11.
    Right... x800 should have been working since F...9?
    As bridgman above says, might be a bug that just doesn't happen to be known, i.e., it doesn't affect very many people. Be sure to report it, i.e. to the bug trackers of both Fedora as well as Xorg.

Could also be something to do with the KMS stuff that was really in a "not sure if its coming or going" state in F11, might want to try to just force-disable KMS. I think the kernel parameter is "nomodeset" (or something like that).

Might also help if you describe what it does (or does not) do in more details... "not working" doesn't give anybody much to go on.