Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-intel 2.9.1 Provides More Fixes

Phoronix: xf86-video-intel 2.9.1 Provides More Fixes

Back in September the Intel Open-Source Technology Center developers had released the xf86-video-intel 2.9.0 driver as their quarterly update, but unlike previous updates that brought KMS, GEM, UXA, and other new features, the 2.9 release wound up just being a major bug-fix release. Providing further fixes, the xf86-video-intel 2.9.1 driver was released over the night. The xf86-video-intel 2.9.1 driver addresses corruption and artifacts due to wrong colors in the colormap with X server 1.7, incorrect rendering (such as missing scrollbar arrows in some themes), black screen when X server is reset, and regressions detecting DVI monitors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael: I feel you somehow complaining about Intel's DDX driver. Is there something really broken in this driver or some important feature missing?

From my POI they already have introduced all needed features, fixed annoying bugs and don't have much more to do with this driver. But as I use ATI mostly, I may be missing something.

Could someone with Intel experience share some opinions, please?

Comment

I didn't get the impression that Michael was complaining, but maybe that's just me?

In general, the biggest missing piece is accelerated video decoding, otherwise as an Intel user I'm quite happy

Comment

If they only could provide a newer poulsbo driver...

Comment

How about a feature list instead of an announcement.

------------------------- Win32 --------- Linux
          Shader 2.0 Yes NO
          Shader 1.0 Yes Yes
          Compressed Textures S3C? Yes NO
          Compressed Textures ??? Yes NO
          Hardware T&L Emu Emu
          Hardware decompression flv Yes NO

Comment

The next step for the Intel driver is to migrate to Gallium3d so they can get the benefits of all the state trackers for "free". Things like OpenCL, new OpenGL versions, and VDPAU can be supported without any work on their part.

As for your feature list, I thought that Shader Model 2.0 is a DirectX specific terminology. The rough OpenGL equivalent should already be supported on Intel cards since they've maxed out on the OpenGL versions for their cards.

Comment

Working...
            X