Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo 10.1 LiveDVD Brings Fixes & Enhancements

Phoronix: Gentoo 10.1 LiveDVD Brings Fixes & Enhancements

In celebration of Gentoo's 10th birthday, the Gentoo engineering team banded together and created the Gentoo 10 LiveDVD of the latest packages for this rolling Linux distribution. Less than a month after releasing Gentoo 10.0, the Gentoo Ten team has released Gentoo 10.1. The Gentoo 10.1 LiveDVD contains enhancements and bug-fixes since the 10.0 release at the start of the month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nicely adressed critisism Michael

OMG that artwork is the most beautiful artwork I have ever seen

Was that artwork payed for? They should make it standard!

Comment

The wallpaper is nice but not the actual theme.

The default KDE4 theme is great but it's designed to run with desktop effects. It doesn't looks as good without them.

Comment

Slow compilers?

I like the message on the wallpaper: "Gentoo linux, 10 years compiling". Maybe they should look for a faster compiler

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          The wallpaper is nice but not the actual theme.
          Yeah I totally agree, but the mix of it all just feels like... I dunno... wow give! I might just be crazy but it's the same with music. There might be some songs in a mix that make you go "yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh... kinda avarage... not really my thing" but mixed together it can give some sort of vibe that makes you go "Hell yeah!"

I wouldn't be suprised if anyone thinks I am absolutely nuts when reading the above...

The default KDE4 theme is great but it's designed to run with desktop effects. It doesn't looks as good without them.
          Especially with some themes out there where the widgets are having just a bunch of totally unnecessary borders around them that look like shit when it's not composited =x

Comment

I think I'll have to dedicate a usb stick to this.

Comment

What it's still missing...

As a Gentoo user from way back, the only major thing I noticed missing from the LiveDVD was an honest portrayal of a Gentoo system.

The LiveDVD is really nice and all, but if you take a poke in /etc/portage you'll see how much work they put into making it look like the default Gentoo experience is "modern" - when a normal user who just updates their system regularly still can't use KDE4.

Of course mentioning this around Gentoo users just leads to a bunch of flaming about how easy it is to go "~" or add a keywords file - so I suppose it depends on your view of a "normal" Gentoo experience.

Comment

Gentoo is about customisation, and as a rolling updated distro, livedvd's can't really give an "honest portrayal" - they're out of date by the time they're released.
                And if people are concerned about looking at the keywords file, they really shouldn't be using Gentoo in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by iapitus View Post
                  The LiveDVD is really nice and all, but if you take a poke in /etc/portage you'll see how much work they put into making it look like the default Gentoo experience is "modern" - when a normal user who just updates their system regularly still can't use KDE4.
                  Hm? Why can't a normal user use KDE4? Care to explain?

Comment

I believe it was a reference to kde4 being in the unstable section (hence the ~ required to install it).
                    Of course, kde4 is relatively new and I'd be surprised if it wasn't in unstable.

Comment

Working...
                    X