Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Proposes VDPAU For DRI2 Patches

Phoronix: NVIDIA Proposes VDPAU For DRI2 Patches

NVIDIA's Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix -- or more commonly known as VDPAU -- has had phenomenal success since this video playback/decoding API was published last year and implemented within their proprietary graphics driver on Linux. VDPAU on NVIDIA hardware utilizes the PureVideo engine and is able to provide very impressive video playback capabilities even when running a very low-end CPU and GPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When will intel finally support it's decoding capabilities on linux, playing 720 and 1080p files on my netbook-ish (with gma4500mhd) just sucks monkeyballs. Intel's supposed to be open source on everything, but I doubt the engineering schematics are available of the decoding unit.

Comment

I'm not closely following Intel but don't they support VA-API already? If so, you could give mplayer-vaapi a try:

splitted-desktop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, splitted-desktop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

no it's just a specification.
        The only real hardware implementation is in the poulsbo driver, that's gma 500.
        Ofcourse there is also a mpeg2 implementation for the G45. But mpeg2 is no good for HD.

Comment

When is VDPAU support going to become mainstream?

I build xine from the mercurial repository regularly, and I'm not seeing any VD-PAU support at all. Nor is there a hint of VD-PAU support in the ffmpeg library that ships with Fedora. I can only assume that all this support is sitting in external repositories somewhere. So is there any timetable for when these repositories are going to merge with the mainline?

The xine repository I am building reports its version to be 1.1.16.3hg.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
            I build xine from the mercurial repository regularly, and I'm not seeing any VD-PAU support at all. Nor is there a hint of VD-PAU support in the ffmpeg library that ships with Fedora. I can only assume that all this support is sitting in external repositories somewhere. So is there any timetable for when these repositories are going to merge with the mainline?

Cannot say about xine or ffmpeg, but an experimental VDPAU plugin silently made it into GStreamer bad plugins since version 0.10.14, I don't recall reading it in Phoronix news... Here's the changelog: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/rel...d/0.10.14.html

Comment

For xine-lib, the VDPAU support exists in a separate repository only. No patches have been submitted for mainline due to lack of time (reference).

For ffmpeg, the support was merged to mainline in Jan 2009. Note that only playback is supported and it requires a player supporting the feature (e.g. MPlayer). Using VDPAU for decoding in a transcoding process is currently not supported. Also, AFAICS there is no ffmpeg shipped in Fedora Rawhide at all, so I can't comment on that.

Comment

Xine-vdpau: http://www.jusst.de/vdpau/

Ffmpeg has had support for vdpau at least since February, so Fedora must ship with quite old version.

Comment

Remember that you'll need NVidia's binary drivers+vdpau libs+a media program with VDPAU supported compiled in. Fedora wouldn't ship any of these parts in their default repos- you'd have to look at RPMFusion for all of these things.

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
                    Remember that you'll need NVidia's binary drivers+vdpau libs+a media program with VDPAU supported compiled in. Fedora wouldn't ship any of these parts in their default repos- you'd have to look at RPMFusion for all of these things.
                    Actually, libvdpau and vdpauinfo are already shipped in Fedora's official repo, what seems to be lagging behind is RPMFusion...

Comment

Working...
                    X