Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ahh another penny for the poor.

Comment

also contains a major advancement too, which will be exposed in the near future.
      The only major advancement I want is a file size reduction from 80+mb to a less promiscuous 20ish mb

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
        The only major advancement I want is a file size reduction from 80+mb to a less promiscuous 20ish mb
        I'd guess the actual driver is smaller still. I mean, can a graphics card driver really be bigger than an entire complex kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
          I'd guess the actual driver is smaller still. I mean, can a graphics card driver really be bigger than an entire complex kernel?
          I think the ATi devs have no idea how to write a Linux driver, so they wrote an entire new kernel and embedded it with the graphics driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
            Actually, that's not much of a surprise. They've got to stick a lot of stuff into there - not just handling the hardware itself, but also a full-blown compiler and OpenGL implementation. Now 80MB is fairly ridiculous, but being larger than an OS kernel isn't much of a stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              The version in Ubuntu 9.10 is an earlier version of the code specifically for Ubuntu; the Catalyst 9.10 driver should contain additional changes.
              Wow. That would give them the Nobel Peace Prize, if true.

Comment

What a cool news entry as the file is still missing. Also the gfx card choice does not include 5xxx yet.

Comment

the driver package is so big, because they include drivers for elderly X versions and precomiled stuff. You guys would complain, if you had to install gcc or the driver stops working with your distribution from 2008.

Comment

Hi Yall & Michael,

Dude, in regards to "Available over at AMD.com is now the Catalyst 9.10 Linux driver update," being somewhat pre-mature, a suggestion. Either include a link that works or rephrase to something like, "due out sometime today..."

Bridgman, (I remembered, no "e.") it has been about seven hours, since AMD/ATI said the file was there. Not very professional.... Take one egg, break, pour over face? ;-)

Next time, liven the link THEN publish it? :-)

Anyways, it will be live sometime soon and indeed "due out sometime today..." which is just in time for the weekend. So thanks for that AMD/ATI guys! :-)

This 5850 is an uber mind piece of hardware & plays CIV-IV, beautifully.

Have a fun weekend yall.

Greekgeek :-)

Comment

"Catalyst 9.10 also contains a major advancement too"

I feel like a kid waiting behind the couch to see its shoe filled with presents. Hope this time my waiting will not quash my future experience.

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                      Already explained to often on these threads, will never happen for catalyst. radeon* drivers are your friends here.

I'm having no problems with the size... only hoping for beter 2d performance and video acc. maybe 50% of my wishes will be granted soon

Comment

Working...
                      X