Ubuntu 9.10 Release Candidate Has Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can get newer kernels for debian too. The "official" way would be using

From the build-server you get newer ones. But sometimes kbuild is missing, not that hard to generate, but too hard for beginners. I dislike those Debian kernels and backported/adopted some ubuntu packages for Kanotix to be able to build and use Ubuntu git kernels. That requires a few changes which maybe are not that clear to everybody - and i definitely will not explain em here.

Comment

Ubuntu or Debian, That is the question

I've been switching from debian to ubuntu back and forth since I got the 64-bit amd with an ATI integrated HD3200 chip. The fglrx driver was causing me trouble in debian, and the open source driver was bad, that's months ago... When I switched to ubuntu, the system installed the proprietary driver, which I decided to keep. But not all is wine and roses, or should I say so? Intermittent freezes randomly, when playing amarok or watching a movie, I just have to seat and wait that some misterious process finishes hogging the system. KDE 4.3.2 is really slow too, but well., what can I do?

It seems that here in Phoronix the radeon (or the RadeonHD?) was testetd against the proprietary driver for ATI, with good results. Is there any chance this driver will be put soon implanted in the kernel as module? Then I will be gladly switch back to debian. Cheers

Comment

Intermittent freezes randomly, when playing amarok or watching a movie, I just have to seat and wait that some misterious process finishes hogging the system. KDE 4.3.2 is really slow too, but well., what can I do?
        Something messed up, because KDE is really fast here and no single freeze. However, I'm using OS driver.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Something messed up, because KDE is really fast here and no single freeze. However, I'm using OS driver.

Yes, something but what?

I gave Karmik 64-bit a try. Reformated everything to have ext4. So far, no more intermitent hang-ups, at least in gnome. Karmik is flashing fast, compared tothe previous. It's like night and day. I expect no more problems in KDE but I will see. Karmik is really nice, now I need to adjust things to have a feeling "a la debian" including the appropriate root admin, and to see what is goign on at boot (no splash chocolate screen please), etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxei View Post
            Yes, something but what?.
            Maybe it's something fglrx related, but I don't know. I used fglrx for very short time, but I don't remember any problems with KDE. Btw. what was actually slow for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
              Remember that Kubuntu strings are always broken. They have tried to fix them %n times, but Kubuntu can't, and it always has texto que sale en otro idioma intercalado. Las translations are broken.

So, it's "its", for Kubuntu.
              While translations seems to be far better in Kubuntu 9.10, they want to get rid of such problems once for all:

It also seems Kubuntu no longer wants to be a second class citizen and this is great
              Last edited by kraftman; 03 November 2009, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X