Open source drivers for 5850...when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open source drivers for 5850...when?

I bought a 5850 yesterday, and I saw that in Karmic, the open source driver cannot set correctly the resolution of my dual monitors, so I installed the closed driver included in Karmic, and now video is going well, but with a lot of problems of cursor hidden, lot of tearing, slow responsiveness, "UNSUPPORTED HARDWARE" panel...

When will open source drivers for ATI 5XXX come to Karmic? I had a ati 4350 with the open drivers working very well (without effects, of course)...

Thank you!

I think someone mentioned 2~ months when the developer gets a card(of course they could have misspoken). While you wait the FGRLX drivers work fine. At least from what I can tell.

Comment

Ok, I just realized I misspoke.
      Here is a thread from a few pages back that asked the same question.
      Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

Comment

You're asking two questions there:

a) when will the OS drivers support evergreen GPUs?
        b) when will those updated drivers appear in $YOUR_DISTRIBUTION?

I don't think the second one will be answered here If DRM-updates are needed, that can be delayed by as much as three month until the next official kernel release, more until the new kernel appears in your distribution. If you need it faster, you need to compile your own kernel modules and userspace drivers.

Some tidbits I picked up in other threads:
        - The 3d acceleration is similar enough to r600/r700 and will be included in the r600 driver. There isn't any documentation for the new DX10-features from AMD yet, but basic 3D can be implemented without.
        - modesetting is done first, 3d last (as usual)
        - there are no official estimates yet
        - Radeon Feature Matrix doesn't even list evergreen yet

I'm sure phoronix will tell us when it's done.
        Last edited by rohcQaH; 21 October 2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I updated the RadeonFeature matrix to add Evergreen. Lots of red.

Apologies to everyone I spammed while making the updates.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by salva84 View Post
            I bought a 5850 yesterday, and I saw that in Karmic, the open source driver cannot set correctly the resolution of my dual monitors, so I installed the closed driver included in Karmic, and now video is going well, but with a lot of problems of cursor hidden, lot of tearing, slow responsiveness, "UNSUPPORTED HARDWARE" panel...

When will open source drivers for ATI 5XXX come to Karmic? I had a ati 4350 with the open drivers working very well (without effects, of course)...

Thank you!
            Your card is based on the R8xx and the free software driver only supports R7XX and earlier. You should beg Alex Deucher, an AMD asset, to implement support for it and you should also demand that the AMD corporation release documentation so that not-AMD-assets too can contribute to making a driver.

The proprietary driver is not free software and you should not use it, non-free software is bad for both you and society. You should instead make an effort to mind-control AMD drones into making a free driver.

As for the Bubuntu Karmic, it's beta software and the ralink wireless support included in it is utterly broken, as is R300 support. God luck running that beta.

Comment

Demanding won't really help, we've been working on it for a while. Remember that the documentation has to be *written* before it can be *released*.

In the immortal words of Hagar the Horrible, first you pillage, *then* you burn
              Last edited by bridgman; 21 October 2009, 02:52 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

I bought a 5850 yesterday, [...] so I installed the closed driver included in Karmic, [...] lot of problems of cursor hidden, lot of tearing, slow responsiveness,
                They 57xx/58xx look like very good cards, shame on AMD for doing such a disservice to the hardware with their buggy proprietary driver. When the open source drivers supports these cards and has good power management I'll buy myself one of them, until then I'll stick with my IGP .

Comment

...so I installed the closed driver included in Karmic, and now video is going well, but with a lot of problems of cursor hidden, lot of tearing, slow responsiveness, "UNSUPPORTED HARDWARE" panel...
                  If the "slow responsiveness" comment refers to maximizing windows there is an X server patch to help with that.

If "tearing" refers to lack of sync-to-vblank in Xv then using GL output will let you enable sync-to-vblank and eliminate the tearing.

I haven't heard about "cursor hidden" issues, can you pls provide more info or file a Bugzilla ticket at http://ati.cchtml.com ?

The "unsupported hardware" watermark should go away with the October Catalyst driver.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 21 October 2009, 03:33 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Demanding won't really help, we've been working on it for a while. Remember that the documentation has to be *written* before it can be *released*.
                    That's great news. Not enough to recommend NYSE:AMD right now, but then again I recommend shorting all of NYSE at these levels. Great news for free software users, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X