Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, I buy amd because:
    Fab in Dresden
    (not only but it is another point on the list)

the oss driver initiative.

I think that is called 'voting with money'

Comment

Thanks for this very interesting interview. I still have a few question though:

- What distro do the driver devs use?

- Why can't you say that *one* developer should *one* week help the nouveau guys with their problems? If you don't want to open source your driver, why can't you help the nouveau guys a litte little bit, that gallium works? It would be good for you and for everyone who wants free drivers.

Of course a real opensource initative like ati does is better, but i think even a bit support for the nouveau would help pretty much.

Comment

Good interview! It's good to know that instead of leaving their customers in the dark (like AMD is doing with XvBA...) they are very clear that they have absolutely no interest in helping the development of an open source alternative to their binary blob. Reason enough for me to stay away from NVidia products.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
          Thanks for this very interesting interview. I still have a few question though:

- What distro do the driver devs use?

- Why can't you say that *one* developer should *one* week help the nouveau guys with their problems? If you don't want to open source your driver, why can't you help the nouveau guys a litte little bit, that gallium works? It would be good for you and for everyone who wants free drivers.

Of course a real opensource initative like ati does is better, but i think even a bit support for the nouveau would help pretty much.
          nvidia answered the first question in a podcast one or two years ago. google might dig it up.

Comment

@energyman

ATI chips are not produced in germany, only some AMD CPUs. Ironically Nvidia+ATI chips are produced by the same company

Comment

Thank you for a really nice interview!

Comment

Obviously Matthew Tippet has so much to say, you've interviewed the wrong team, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  How exactly does the code being shared between microshaft and *nix relate to supporting open source? We don't want your crap code. We want *specifications*.
                  You don't have the right to want anything. It doesn't belong to you for you to want it. It's theirs, they can do with it whatever they please. This isn't Soviet Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    You don't have the right to want anything. It doesn't belong to you for you to want it. It's theirs, they can do with it whatever they please. This isn't Soviet Russia.
                    well said.

This thread as been growing like bacteria on a keyboard. its a good topic tho.

Comment

Re: Nothing new...

[QUOTE=greg;96509]

Hi greg!

> Read again.

Err...extracted from the article:

Nothing definite, no, but we do get a lot of requests for it and it is something I hope we can pursue in the future.

Hope is not a definite thing
                      What I've meant was in near term. Not in a long possible term...

> - NO Gallium3D
                      > - NO EXA
                      >> What for? NVidia's driver already has excellent acceleration w/ NVidia's own framework.
                      >> Again, why? NVidia already provides fast 2D acceleration and did so before EXA saw the light of the day.

Why? Standard/kernel developers/community approved way to do things inside the Linux kernel is not important here? Debugging facilities, very small term improvements (i.e. look KMS feature lack time frame on Nvidia), fast community driven bug fix response time, etc...

Maybe the architecture inside nvidia's proprietary driver is really good even on 2D acceleration, but not on Linux's kernel way.

How can the community help improving overall desktop experience performance without following the Linux's kernel ways?

But, I respect (but not agree) the fact tha Nvidia has it's reasons (IP and financial ones) not do so

> - NO SLI, NO All-Good-NVIDIA-Windowzer-Stuuf
                      >> I'm not sure what you mean. SLI works fine.

Sorry...my bad. I was half thinking on SLI and PhysX when writing.

I was referring to SLI profiling and better control-settings-panel (like Windows has).

On the other side, you haven't agree in the fact PhysX and other really interesting things from Windows drivers don't exists on Linux drivers

>That being said, I think it's a bit sad that NVidia won't be able to >help the Nouveau guys. At least some hardware documentation under NDA >would be pretty nice, if nothing else seems to be possible.

Unfortunately they can't help them. But fortunately we (community) have *always* other's ways to do so, like nouveau guys

Originally posted by mtippett View Post

The assumption that a single implementation is the *only* path to achieving a user visible feature usually ends up with comprimise. The composited desktop has many paths right now. XGL was an interesting idea, but ultimately went away. Same for EXA for intel (UXA).

Regards,

Matthew
                      Hi Matthew!

But no as Linux's kernel approved and correct way.

Regards,
                      Raine
                      Last edited by Raine; 20 October 2009, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X