Epic Games Changes Story, Unsure About UT3 Linux Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    The honest truth: Epic has financial problems. Epic is lying. Epic didn't pay for the UT3 port that Icculus already finnished.

C'mon guys...
    I believe you're right. They are in a tight economic situation where the income they would gain for releasing the linux port would not come up to the price icculus wants for it. They are a company, of course they can't afford a calculated loss like that in these times.

Comment

How so and they have financial problems? Did UT3 indeed sell that bad?

Comment

They are the last company that should have financial problems.
        The Gears of War kool-aid will keep that company alive for a long time. Why do you think thats all they care about these days?
        Microsoft paid them many millions just to keep Gears 360 exclusive.
        Last edited by spikestabber; 18 October 2009, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
          im a little confused. How do you know this? Maybe im a little left out here.
          I cannot say how I got the info because if I did then the person that is under an NDA will be fucked.

Comment

Microsoft paid them many millions just to keep Gears 360 exclusive.
            And you don't think that they have other things to pay for?

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              Of course. How else will Phoronix be able to increase ad revenue? Do you really believe that silly benchmark articles which don't simulate real world uses of operating systems will ever increase page hits as much as tabloid rumor mongering and finger pointing?
              So what's wrong with the benchmarks? (And more importantly, how can they be fixed?)
              Benchmarks on the Windows side come down to the same things really: gaming benchmarks focus on FPS from a number of graphically-demanding games, with charts showing how the latest cards do with a variety of resolutions.
              On the non-gaming side, they test how fast is the processor at doing things: rendering 3d images, large spreadsheets, and battery tests.
              I'm pretty sure the Phoronix test suite covers all of these (except maybe the battery test).

If you're saying benchmarking in general is crap and doesn't cover real-world usage, that's fine (but strange).

Comment

At first I was not happy with this game just because it wouldn't be released on Linux. After a while of continued reporting I became a little tired of hearing about because I decided I didn't like the game enough for it to matter anyway. But then I realized that is completely the wrong reason to care about this story in the first place.

The real reason why Linux gamers should continue to care about this story is because it is an example of a company outright lying to the community about what has been going on. It's important that someone keeps asking them about this game to see how long they will continue to lie about their intentions. If they didn't want to release the game on Linux then fine, they shouldn't say they would be releasing this version just in order to build up interest in the game or for whatever reason they had in mind because it obviously wasn't in the interest of actually releasing a Linux game.

If you, as a Linux gamer, are tired of being treated as a second-rate gamer, then this story matters in that regard completely separate of the fact that you may not even like this game in the first place. We have to call companies out on this behavior if we don't want it to continue to happen in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
                  At first I was not happy with this game just because it wouldn't be released on Linux. After a while of continued reporting I became a little tired of hearing about because I decided I didn't like the game enough for it to matter anyway. But then I realized that is completely the wrong reason to care about this story in the first place.

The real reason why Linux gamers should continue to care about this story is because it is an example of a company outright lying to the community about what has been going on. It's important that someone keeps asking them about this game to see how long they will continue to lie about their intentions. If they didn't want to release the game on Linux then fine, they shouldn't say they would be releasing this version just in order to build up interest in the game or for whatever reason they had in mind because it obviously wasn't in the interest of actually releasing a Linux game.

If you, as a Linux gamer, are tired of being treated as a second-rate gamer, then this story matters in that regard completely separate of the fact that you may not even like this game in the first place. We have to call companies out on this behavior if we don't want it to continue to happen in the future.
                  That is very true.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    And you don't think that they have other things to pay for?
                    I'm sure Microsoft would quickly buy them out if it were the case.

Comment

Originally posted by spikestabber View Post
                      I'm sure Microsoft would quickly buy them out if it were the case.
                      But maybe they just don't want to sell theirselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X