No announcement yet.

Epic Games Changes Story, Unsure About UT3 Linux Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic Games, Epic Ports, Epic Philosophy, Epic Fail (TM).

Comment

Originally posted by geamandura View Post
      Son you have no idea what you're talking about.
      Oh, and I suppose you do, seeing that your post has nothing of substance to add.

To repeat: The cause behind the delay is all just speculation. As an experienced software developer, I've long surmised that Ryan ran into difficulty porting a large project. Something of this scale is usually done by a large group, and even then can take years.

I just don't like to see people unfairly blaming Epic. What would you have them do? They most likely don't have in-house expertise with Linux games. Software houses that make baby steps towards Linux support encounter fierce backlash from the community for not being perfect. It's not a surprise that so few of them choose to make that first step.

Comment

How was/is Gears of War ( UT3 engine ) ported to the mac? Was there overlap work done by our friend Ryan Gordon and the company People Can Fly? I do remember screenshots released by Ryan long ago showing a UT3 running on a mac and Linux.

I believe Epic no longer has control over their creation.

Comment

Guys, reading many comments that have been made so far on the UT3 topic, wouldn't it be worth to set-up a survey about UT3 ?
          I'll see questions like :
          1. Would you still the game if a linux client is issued ?
          2. Would you give some extra money to Epic / Ryan for getting the release faster ?
          3. Get outta here with a fucking 2 years old game (and count me as a lost sale for UT3)
          4. Epic is not in a hurry for releasing the game, and so I'll be when it comes buying the game if ever a linux client is made.
          5. I already own a windows copy of the game and I don't play it because I don't play it under windows
          6. I already own a windows copy and I play it under Windows (dual boot, Wine or whatsoever)
          7. Why didn't Epic release the existing linux client that has been used for showing the 6 months old screenshots shown on the Ryan's blog ? (eventhough it should be bugged/unstable)

Then, depending the number of answers, perhaps send this to Epic and/or Ryan (if Michael is ok for doing that ?)

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
            well this dumb game would have been a huge leap in linux graphics, Especially 2 years ago. It would have been something we could point to and go, hey, this is a viable platform and you should be developing for it.

You dont sound like a gamer to me, at any rate. Some people look at this the same way as people who want photoshop (for lack of a better example off the top of my head) on linux. That said, more people probably would like photoshop .
            I am a gamer, but UT3 is shit. Nexuiz, AlienArena (or on the commercial part): ET:QW, Savage2, Savage1, HoN and much more are good games...UT3 is nothing what matters.

Comment

I don't care for UT3 anymore. In 2007 I had gladly paid some money for it - maybe I'd even considered paying 10EUR for the low-budget version in german electronic consumer shops like Saturn in 2008, but it's almost 2010 now. I wouldn't play the game even if Epic would feel the urge to let me download the ISO for free.

It's far too late and it's Epic that is to blame for this. After maybe two to three months after the deadline (don't tell me, they didn't have one) they should have either considered providing more resources or manpower into the port of UT3 or just pay Ryan what they owed him and be honest about their failure to provide the native Linux/OSX-port and admitting, that they don't love all platforms equally.

What a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
                I get the feeling Epic is being less than honest here. I think they know exactly what's going on, and the ugly truth would send their stock plummeting.
                The honest truth: Epic has financial problems. Epic is lying. Epic didn't pay for the UT3 port that Icculus already finnished.

C'mon guys...

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                  I am a gamer, but UT3 is shit. Nexuiz, AlienArena (or on the commercial part): ET:QW, Savage2, Savage1, HoN and much more are good games...UT3 is nothing what matters.
                  Ill make it quick.

UT3 = Bad
                  UE3 = Great

We want more commercial software for linux. We cant bitch when one doesnt come to our platform simply because nobody is listening. When major companies like ID and EPIC got onboard, people looked our way. LGP, S3, RWS and whatever companies are not going to be able to demonstrate the commercial viability of linux as a gaming platform simply because they dont haul around a supposed sack of money. Nexuiz and AA are good, but they are not commercial quality games. This is ok, they are good at what they do. But we dont have the cream of the crop and thats what most gamers want. Simply saying something along the lines of - 'screw off assholes! I have nexuiz and HoN and dont need your crap', doest solve the problem and actually makes us look kind of stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    The honest truth: Epic has financial problems. Epic is lying. Epic didn't pay for the UT3 port that Icculus already finnished.

C'mon guys...
                    im a little confused. How do you know this? Maybe im a little left out here.

Comment

Originally posted by SlickMcRunfast View Post
                      How was/is Gears of War ( UT3 engine ) ported to the mac?
                      I'm guessing they used Cider/Cedega like the EA games did for Mac.

Comment

Working...
                      X