Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD loosing money, uncertain free software development funding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD loosing money, uncertain free software development funding?

AMD reported a loss of $128 million (-18c EPS) in the third-quarter and a top-line decrease from $1.8 billion q3 last year to $1.4 billion this year. I hope they will be able to keep funding the free radeon xorg driver in the future.. things seem to be going in the right direction, but they've still got a long way to go before we start seeing black numbers on the bottom line.

Did anybody in the semi business *not* decrease year-over-year in this period ?
    Test signature

Comment

I think you overestimate the influence of ATi linux customers on AMD/ATis profits. I think ATi is probably the only part of AMD that's still making profits anyway, and this should continue with their excellent new 5xxx series.
      I think the reason that AMD loses money is that they try to stay competitive with Intel on a price/performance level on their cpus.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Did anybody in the semi business *not* decrease year-over-year in this period ?
        Intel

Comment

I like Intel and AMD both, I hope they continue to keep in business, because it's best for us consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Intel
            Nope, their revenues were down 15% 3Q09 vs 3Q08. Most companies are up relative to 2Q09 but down relative to 3Q08.

Relative to a year ago everyone's unit sales are up but revenues are down. You'd think there had been an economic crisis or something.
            Last edited by bridgman; 15 October 2009, 06:15 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

I was looking at the latest info for Q3: Revenue of $9.4 billion and a 33 cent EPS. This was the largest increase from Q2 to Q3 for the last 30 years.

Crisis? What crisis?

Comment

You're looking at quarter-over-quarter results (where everyone is up), but xiando was looking at year-over-year results (where everyone is down).

It's more useful if you look at the same period for both companies.
                Last edited by bridgman; 15 October 2009, 08:02 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

And red numbers go over to AMD

Comment

Not if we're still talking about revenue -- I think AMD was up 18% quarter over quarter, about the same as Intel.

Both companies had lower revenues than a year ago.

Or did we change the subject again ?
                    Last edited by bridgman; 15 October 2009, 08:19 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X