No announcement yet.

AMD Releases OpenCL ATI GPU Support For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guess is it'll be announced as "coming next week" by Phoronix perpetually, then eventually get a stable release in April-May.

Comment

Well have anyone got the opencl baby to run?

I just downloaded the beta driver from ati's stream site and the stream sdk.

I got this system:
      ubuntu 9.10
      radeon 4650

The driver runs, but I got a "Testing use only, Unsupported hardware", bottom right off my screen. 2d, 3d and so works fine, but when I try run a demo sample from the SDK, I get a segmentation fault.

Code:
      (gdb) run
      Starting program: ~/ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-lnx64/samples/opencl/bin/x86_64/HelloCL 
      [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
      HelloCL!
      Creating a context
      For test only: Expires on Sun Feb 28 00:00:00 2010

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
      0x00007ffff4b946ea in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so
      Anyone got any ideas?
      Last edited by tball; 14 November 2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Probably best to post on the Stream forum at developer.amd.com; that's where the Stream folks hang out. Don't think there has been much testing on Ubuntu 9.10 but that wouldn't explain the Unsupported Hardware icon; first thought is some kind of installation issue with the driver.
        Test signature

Comment

There are 2 watermarks possible, one is unsupported hardware, that means you have to replace the /etc/control file and the other is a check for /etc/signature which is missing on beta drivers. You can take both files from any other driver.

Comment

Good point, I forgot that beta drivers displayed the watermark. Thanks.
            Test signature

Comment

But That wont solve my segmentation fault I guess. I don't care about the watermark actually. I just want the opencl driver to work.

Comment

Yeah, the watermark was a red herring. I don't suppose you have a free partition to try it with Ubuntu 9.04, do you ?

The SDK is a beta, tested on 9.04, and I would be surprised if it were trouble free on 9.10.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Yeah, the watermark was a red herring. I don't suppose you have a free partition to try it with Ubuntu 9.04, do you ?

The SDK is a beta, tested on 9.04, and I would be surprised if it were trouble free on 9.10.
                  I will se if I have time installing it on an external harddisk. But yes, it might be better running it on a supported OS :-)

I created a thread on amd's developer forum. I can see other have the same problem, so I believe it will get fixed.

Comment

Sounds good. There's nothing like running it on a supported configuration and still having a problem to get the developers attention
                    Test signature

Comment

I still get the device unsupported, but opencl works. :-)

Though for some of the samples I get:
                      Error: Device does not support sub 32bit writes!

Well maybe my card just doesn't support 23bit writes.

Comment

Working...
                      X